Apfelwein????????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCARYLARRY

Reaction score
My Apfelwein is now been fermenting for a month. Took a sample and it smells like apples but has a water, vinegar taste with some alcohol. My recipe was 15 cans of apple juice concentrate(forget the additive it had supposed to be the same as vitamin C and no preservatives, 100% juice.), water and 2lb's of dextrose. Will this mellow out? Did I screw up some where? Should I bottle and hope for the best?

I've never used the cans of apple juice concentrate so I can't really help you with your specific batch. However, I'd suggest checking the gravity. After a month it should be down around/below 1.000 I think.

How is the gravity going to change the taste? I'm sure it is low and before I bottle I will make sure it's done. Trying to figure out the weird taste and is there something I could do to help it before it goes into bottles.

If the gravity is low and near where expected for a FG then that would tell you fermentation is done. if it isn't then that alone might explain the off flavor. In such a case you might need to repitch or something.

My first batch of apfelwein had a slight vinegar taste a few weeks in...and about a month later I had 3 gallons of apple vinegar. While that flavor could just be from ongoing fermentation, once something begins to taste like vinegar, its not a good sign.

Should I just go ahead and dump or??? Could a put a gallon in a vinegar bottle and use it to cook with? Give me some options please.

Pretty sure I am. Could be wrong. I'll check it out again when I get back in town and report back. Just hate to dump the batch.:(

On some beer or apfelwein batches, I guess the yeast I used often produces a vinegar smell during the fermentation. I've never tasted it when it smelled that way. After its done fermenting the smell goes away and I dont taste any vinegar. I wonder if the smell and greeness is giving you the taste perception of vinegar. Not much to do but wait it out.

You AW is still fermenting. DO NOT DUMP IT. It sounds like you are fairly new to fermenting beverages and may not a have a handle on the weird things fermentation can do to taste.

When I ferment AW it usually takes about 1.5-2 months to ferment dry and clear. Wait until it drops fully clear, then wait another 2 weeks, then sample and bottle. I don't think AW is worth drinking until it is at least 7 months old. Some don't agree, but many do.

Patients young padiwan.

Back