Apfelwein, what's the draw?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How come none of you guys add yeast nutrient?

Go to GNC and pick up a jar of "brewer's yeast" (it's the same dried, centrifuged extract you pay $20/lb. for in homebrew catalogs) Just add 1.5 Tbsp and it's ready to drink inside 4 weeks!

This whole waiting a year thing is bollocks, I say!

It is super simple to make. Not so cheap in my book, considering what tree top apple juice costs in the stores around here, but the results are worth the extra expense. When i first made it my LHBS had no Montrachet yeast as Ed specifies, so I used D-047 instead. My wife and I then proceed to drink a few of them every few months, just to see how it progressed.

2 months in bottle: foamed up a ton, lost carbonation quickly. Extra dry, freinds made a worse face drinking it than they do for an IPA. Results - need more time.
3 months in bottle: carbonation holding better, much less dry but a pucker effect at the end of the swallow.
4 months in bottle: carbonation is champagne like, but still a little dry on the pallet while an alcohol phenoly after taste.
5 months in bottle: carbonation is like a fine champaine fine bubbles for the whole glass, taste has smoothed out to where there no alcohol taste and it is not so dry anymore, apple flavors come through nicely

So for me the 5 month mark is the sweet spot. Last time i brought it to a party, every person started to drink it cause it was so good. The rice beer drinkers kept calling it 'that wine beer'. There was a near riot when it ran out as everyone wanted to drink more of it... very popular stuff when aged properly :)

How come none of you guys add yeast nutrient?

Go to GNC and pick up a jar of "brewer's yeast" (it's the same dried, centrifuged extract you pay $20/lb. for in homebrew catalogs) Just add 1.5 Tbsp and it's ready to drink inside 4 weeks!

This whole waiting a year thing is bollocks, I say!

Hey Trojan,

What specifically does this do, just speed up the yeast production? Any off flavors or anything?

And how do you add it, crush the pills, or is it available in powder form?

The wait is not for the yeast to ferment it. No nutrient you put in theri for yeast is going to accelerate Aging. Save some of the batch you're drinking at 4 weeks and taste it at 8 months. You'll then kick yourself for drinking all 7 months ago.

I made some, and didn't care for it. It's been in the bottles for well over a year now. But that's just me-I'm definitely in the minority on this. Most people love it, but it ain't for everybody.

You and me both. Ive made it a couple times and I just dont think its very good. No disrespect meant to anyone.

Glad Im not the only one, btw!

+1 on ease of creation
-1 on taste

I am well past the stage in life where I feel the need to drink myself into oblivion - which Apfelwein is well equipped to do.

It's drinkable but why? Much rather have a few I2PA's - no contest. For now I freely offer glasses of it to window cleaner, carpet cleaner , etc. They all seem to like it so in a way it helps me get better pricing on some services that I can't or won't do myself.

4 gallons to go.

It's not for everybody. Many of those who did not care for it have changed their mind when they tried it again after 7-8 months of aging.

I haven't read the whole thread but has anybody mentioned that it is super easy to make, cheap and is loaded with a punch that will guarantee great stories the next day?

+1 on ease of creation
-1 on taste

I am well past the stage in life where I feel the need to drink myself into oblivion - which Apfelwein is well equipped to do.

It's drinkable but why?
While we all talk about it's potency, we are not drinking like highschoolers and Boonesfarm. Most of us, me included, enjoy the taste of it and are happy with one glass just like we would be one glass of beer.

It's not for everybody. Many of those who did not care for it have changed their mind when they tried it again after 7-8 months of aging.
This is truth. I was thoroughly dissapointed after even 4 months with my first batch. but figured, eh, bottle and store it. Then 6 months and beyond, YUM!!

I'm making my first batch today. Spent $15 for 4.75 gallons of apple juice, $2 for 2lbs of corn sugar, and $.49 for the packet of yeast. All in all, that's a heck of a deal. I'm still debating whether or not to add 4 oz of lactose to back-sweeten before bottling, but regardless, I have high expectations for the apple hooch.

So what changes after 7 months? Does it mellow, get sweeter, more apple flavor?

It's sitting in the keezer, would I be better off storing the keg at room temp for several months before trying it again?

I've had a keg in the cooler for close to a year. Didn't care for it after a couple months and it's sat for 8 months.

I'll have to hook it back up and see how it is.

I have my first batch ready to bottle. It took 5 months to fully clear to where I felt it was ready. The gravity reading was 0.995 and I have it cold crashing for a week before I bottle it. I will immediately start the next batch and can't wait. Like some beers it gets better with age and I am in no hurry.

It's a tasty, and very simple recipe to make....Oh and it can pack a mean punch.

I've given carbed bottles of it as gifts an people love it, some call it "Apple Champagne."

My brother and his wife absolutely loved it and my brother cracked me up when he called it "Redneck Bubbly."

Coming from two people who know their wine and food, I thought the fact that my sister in-law is now begging me for more, is a pretty good testiment.

So what's the best way to bottle it if you have no kegging equipment? Would 2 liter growlers work after primary fermentation? I'm ready to brew this up= I want my lady to get a lil tipsy!! :ban:

Apfelwein is a gift.
It could be a really creepy fuzzy sweater from aunt Gertrude...or a well thought out card from the hottie brunette you swore didn't like you....

Apfelewin... kegged, with spices will warm your winter night.
Apfelwein, chilled will make your summer day mowing the lawn a majestic experience. I mowed the LAWN!

Apple Juice. Yeast. Time.

Freaking Magic.

Magic that might make encourage you to run with scissors.. but magic nonetheless.

Made 2 gallons of it this past weekend to be ready by Christmas. Not planning on carbing it since most of my family prefers it that way. Took a whopping 10 min to do both. Both are going absolutely crazy right now. I'm actually scared that I may come home to a mess in the closet.

SOOOOO easy

I'm basically just asking, what is the draw to Apfelwein, and why is it so common amongst HBs?

Well, my draw to it is that it was the first stuff I ever made.
When I was about 8 or 9 the neighbor kid showed me what he was makin in the back barn with his dad.
The next day I kyped one of ma's crocks, a jug of juice and some bread yeast and hid it in my closet.
I dont even remember if it was good or crap, but that pretty much started me down the fermenting road.

Well, my draw to it is that it was the first stuff I ever made.
When I was about 8 or 9 the neighbor kid showed me what he was makin in the back barn with his dad.
The next day I kyped one of ma's crocks, a jug of juice and some bread yeast and hid it in my closet.
I dont even remember if it was good or crap, but that pretty much started me down the fermenting road.

I'm calling the authorities. ;)

I might have to make a batch. The last time i made it, I really didn't care for it but maybe if it aged for a while...

It's good to serve your non-beer drinkers. For some reason it's appealing to females who don't like real beer.

-OCD

What's everyone's opinion on how to bottle apfelwein? Do you like to simply transfer to a similar sized bottle it fermented in? Use smaller individual bottles? Do you carb yours? I've been playing around with a few ideas for my latest batches. I only use the large CR bottles since I prefer to leave my fermenters for beer and I usually only make 2 gallons at a time. I'm thinking about carbing one and not carbing the other and just transferring each to another CR bottle. Opinions? Thoughts?

Back