Apfelwein shenanagins...pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
I mixed some new Star-San in the carboy, dumping as much as I could back into my storage bucket. I then made the Apfelwein right on top. This picture is after running to get my camera. It was a volcano!

Less than 3 hours later, I've got airlock activity. The foam hasn't even had time to settle. Then I notice this:

It's a floating island of yeast! How cool :) I love that you can see the individual yeast cells.

When I pitched the yeast I dumped it into the funnel and washed it down with a whole gallon of juice. I also swirled it up, but I guess it still clumped.

I'm guessing I should just ignore it. Any input?

-Joe

You should be fine with the yeast. It will find it's place in time. I have never seen a reaction quite like that with apfelwein. Kudos!

:tank:

Have you ever had issues with not waiting for the Starsan to dry? I do the same thing (I think) and this time a batch is not carbing in the bottles. :mad: I'm wondering if not waiting had anything to do with it.

Have you ever had issues with not waiting for the Starsan to dry? I do the same thing (I think) and this time a batch is not carbing in the bottles. :mad: I'm wondering if not waiting had anything to do with it.

Nope. Even bottling when the bottles are full of foam is not a problem. The beer displaces the foam and everything works great.

You probably just need patience with the bottle carbonating. If your storage temps are cool it can take 3+ weeks to get good carbonation.

Craig

Back