Apfelwein questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slantedbolt

Reaction score
So, I read on here about Apfelwein and I am interested in making it. My only worry is that it is very dry.

I know you can sweeten it, but sweet doesnt always equal not dry. How dry is this stuff?

i just tasted my first batch, and its fermented out to about 1.00, so in that case, it is indeed dry. but its not dry in the sense of what i think of when I think of a typical dry wine.

I believe (check me on this) that the sweeting is usually done post fermentation. I would suggest just making a batch and tasting it, and then sweeting to meet your preference.
I've also seen where its mixed with 7 up or sprite to add carbonation and sweetness.

I only have made and drank one batch so far, but I found it to be very drinkable.

If your really worried about it, I would suggest making it the way it's listed and tasting it to see what you think. If it's too dry for your taste, a little sprite or ginger ale mixed in should mellow it out some.

That was my plan, and when it came time to drink it, I found it to be perfect the way it was.

"Dry" meaning "not sickly sweet" like most American cider offerings. I've had a batch going for around two months now, and occasionally I pull a half glass out of the fermenter to see how it's coming. It is awesome, and does not need to be sweetened. I actually added a little bit of splenda to see how it would taste, and it was pretty gross.

Just take the plunge and make a batch. It is cheap, tasty and worth it. Plus, you need to let it sit for a while before any of the magic happens, so go get on it!

"Dry" meaning "not sickly sweet" like most American cider offerings.

I agree with this, and I've made a number of batches. I like it and have a number of friends, neighbors and family members who are fans. Certainly there have been those who have not appreciated it. The Cotes de Blanc yeast leaves it just slightly and very subtly sweeter IMO.

Besides mixing with sprite or 7-up, pour it and then add some cold apple juice to taste. Some friends of mine who prefer a sweeter cider like it this way.

This is awesome info since my wife does not like sweet hard cider! Thats really who I am really worried about. She Loves Original Sin Hard cider if anyone has had that...

I've made a batch, and my friend made two batches. I've tried all of them, and I didn't really like any of it. I know I'm in the minority here. I have some of mine at home that is over a year old, so if I can find it I'll give it another try.

For my time and money, I'd much rather make mead (or beer, which goes without saying!). I don't want a dry mead, either, so I will sulphite or postassiom sorbate the end product and backsweeten with more honey. An alternative is to backsweeten with a nonfermentable sugar, like aspartame (nutrasweet).

Mine came out fairly dry, like a dry white wine with a faint apple taste. I don't like white wine, so I guess I should have know better when I made this!

I've made a batch, and my friend made two batches. I've tried all of them, and I didn't really like any of it. I know I'm in the minority here. I have some of mine at home that is over a year old, so if I can find it I'll give it another try.

For my time and money, I'd much rather make mead (or beer, which goes without saying!). I don't want a dry mead, either, so I will sulphite or postassiom sorbate the end product and backsweeten with more honey. An alternative is to backsweeten with a nonfermentable sugar, like aspartame (nutrasweet).

Mine came out fairly dry, like a dry white wine with a faint apple taste. I don't like white wine, so I guess I should have know better when I made this!
I am in the minority also...I have a batch going now.. I made it twice before. Others love it, I let em drink it.

There's no technical reason why you can't make Apfelwein in a pail, but it does take a while to ferment, so it'll tie up that pail for a few weeks. I use a spare 5 gallon carboy so it can take its sweet (or dry) time, and I can continue to ferment beer in my pail.

Make the Apfelwein! It's delicious.

Back