Apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric1489

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New brewer here. I have 2 batches goin. An IPA and a Porter. We will see how they turn out. I am also going to try the Apfelwein and I have a question.

Read through the massive thread and was hearing people say to carb some with carb drops, and keep some still to check to see what you like. It seemed that some folks were using wine bottles to bottle. Can these be carbed with a regular wine cork, or do I need to use champagne bottles and corks? If it's ok to go with standard 750s and corks, do I need to use a few carb drops?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
ej

Wine bottles with corks are for still - uncarbed wine.

You can use beer bottles or champagne bottles with the plastic corks and a wire cage for carbed cider.

If you are carbonating you need to use bottles rated for the pressure, yes you could use champagne bottles and use the cage or you can bottle in 22s or I use the martinellis apple cider bottles which are a pop top. As for the carb drops depending on the brand you will use 3 to 5 per 12oz so do the math from there. If using larger volumes divide by 12 and times that by the recommended amount of tabs.

I wouldnt use carb drops, if it were me if I had 5 gallons and I wanted 3/4 of it carbed and 1/4 not carbed and assuming im carbing with 3/4 cups corn sugar I would just bottle 1.25 gallons and then add my priming sugar. My sugar amount would be reduced by a quarter so I would use .56 cups or just shy of 1/4 + 1/3 cups(7/12) to prime 3.75 gallons. That way you don't need to carb each bottle and reduce some risk.

Things seem to be slowing down with my apfelwein as far as the bubbles go. I never took an OG reading, but I used 2 lbs of Corn Sugar so I can easily find something close that someone else got using Ed Worts exact recipie. A ballpark ABV is just fine with me. I will take a gravity when I am more sure it's finished.

My question is: there is a ring of what looks like undissolved corn sugar in the bottom. Should I get one of those drill bit paint stirrer deals and stir that mug up gently, or should I just let it go. It's only been in the better bottle for about 2 weeks so it can't be done from what others have experienced. From searching the sight I have heard some say that oxygenation is not an issue..........to the pros I ask, What should I do?

I'm no pro but that might just be yeast on the bottom, at least it was in mine. I would say just leave it

EDIT: Guess I'm slow today

I knew about the Floc'd yeasties dropping out of solution, but after 2 weeks though? It does look a bit clearer..............could it possibly be done fermenting. I'm using Montrachet and the temp fluctuates between 60 and 70.

Does anyone here know of a good and inexpensive source for 500ml, 750ml or 1000ml cobalt blue swing top bottles?

If you are carbonating you need to use bottles rated for the pressure, yes you could use champagne bottles and use the cage or you can bottle in 22s or I use the martinellis apple cider bottles which are a pop top.

Other ideas:
--Some American champagne bottles use the cider-style pop-tops, as do some barleywines (Schlafly's comes in brown 750ml pop-tops). More expensive American champagnes tend not to
--Sierra Nevada sells 24oz bombers which are closer to the 750ml size than 22oz bottles are
--Some european champagne/belgian bottles will take a larger crown-cap (which some cappers, e.g. Red Baron, Coronna, others, can cap with the right bell)
--Belgian bottles + corks + cages work fine, too.
--You can use belgian corks+cages on champagne bottles

Back