Apfelwein Oak'd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeermanIPA

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has made apfelwein and put a bit of oak chips in the carboy to simulate a "oak ageing" style character?

I just decided to try so i put about an oz of medium toast french oak chips in there to see if it does anything positive with the flavor. I also contemplated adding a bit of honey to it but passed this time around. I planned on doing this with an IPA but I am not sure how well it will taste in an apfelwein.

just wondering if anyone has done this and how the outcome was, if not what variant of apfelwein have you made and how did it taste?

I've had an oaked commercial cider before, but it was a much lower abv (~4%) and it was done with american oak. Personally, I found that the lighter body and the sharp flavor of the american oak didn't work with it. However with something a bit bigger like apfelwein, and with a more smooth oak like french, it would probably be very nice.

This is on the list of things I'll be trying with some ciders soon. My LHBS finally got the french oak cubes and I'm dying to try them out.

I was planning to rack off a gal of my almost done Apfelwein to a few grams of oak chips to see if it did anything. just waiting till it clears before i touch it. i figured i can rack off the other 4 gals to bottle at the same time.

Alright. I just transfered this to a keg after about 10 weeks sitting on an once of med toasted oak chips. I used organic gala apple cider from a local farm. I have gotten more compliments on this then any of my beers. wonderful flavor, slight sourness from the oak. Very tasty!! Try it out if you have not yet.
My next experiment in apfelwein i make i am going to use local honey instead of corn sugar to up the gravity and stick with the oak chips, let it sit for about 10 weeks again.

I have some French "House Toast" oak cubes that I will be tossing in a gallon of my 50/50 filtered/unfiltered organic juice, organic cane sugar Apfelwein. I'm even more excited after reading of your success.

It is a huge hit with friends and family. They all love the oak aged the best and the cider i am getting from the local farm is fresh, unfiltered and very flavorful.
I am excited to see how you like the finished product. keep me updated please.

nope. you get a bit of oak sourness but its very pleasant and subtle. i had a few drink 'snobs' really give me props on that one specifically. I put on a blind tasting between a few different ones i made ranging from different juice/cider blends, yeast and the oak'd version which had a non oak'd version to compare it to. the oak'd came out on top overall with each person who tried them

So, I searched on "Apfelwein on Oak" and found this thread. I have an Oak Boy (Northern Brewer) in my stash and I was pondering if I shuld use it in the Apfelwein that is fermenting happily in my Fermentation Chiller that is the Son of a Son of Fermentation Chiller.

I guess I have my answer. By the way 10 week is not unusual. The Oak Boy instructions say 3-4 months which, basic math aside, is 12-16 weeks.

french oak is not as strong a flavor as american oak. I think you could do 4 months on oak and it be alright so long as its french oak. I have an american oak barrel i have a sour aging in and i had to let it soak with water for a while and refill it 3 times to tone the oak down a bit. Let me know how your oak'd apfelwein turns out.

Back