apfelwein clearing, racking, secondarying, bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StickyWicket

Reaction score
Small issue I need some advice on . . . Had a batch of apfelwein in a bucket for 4 weeks or so. Peeked last night and I thought it was clear. FG was spot on. So I transferred it to a carboy I was using as a bottling bucket. Turns out, it's hard to tell whether something is clear or now when it's in a bucket. After getting it into the carboy, I can see that its really not clear yet.

So what do I do now? Just let it clear in the carboy before bottling? Or hurry up and bottle and let it clear? I haven't added any priming sugar.

What BK said - slap an airlock on that puppy and wait for it to drop clear.

You're gonna love the stuff. I finished a batch last week, bottled most of it but saved out a glass to drink - I could certainly get used to that! I think it will be even better carbonated.

Thanks! It's back in the basement, under a dark t-shirt, just waiting to clear. I'll pass the time with a homebrew . . .

When bottling do I need to add priming sugar? After 4 weeks in the fermenter. or will it still have enough sugar in the apfelwein to carbonate some?

When bottling do I need to add priming sugar? After 4 weeks in the fermenter. or will it still have enough sugar in the apfelwein to carbonate some?

Yep. If the fermentation is finished (same gravity three days in a row), you will need to add more fermentables to carb in bottles. You can play with the amount, but the general rule is 5 oz (~3/4 cup) dextrose per 5 gallons.

Cheers.

Back