Apfelwein + Blueberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiffybrew

Reaction score
Hats off to Apfelwein. Its obviously a favorite among many. I've been experimenting with brown sugar and it turns our deeelisshusss too. I think one of the best parts of Apfelwein is the apple aroma that is strong but never overbearing.
One my next experiments is to add some blueberry juice. I'm thinking of a 4 to 1 ratio. 4 parts apple juice to 1 part blueberry. and then keeping the rest of the recipe the same. My only concern is that the blueberry flavors may not come out enough. I've never made wine before but i've been studying the recipes and it seems that a dark juice such as blueberry would have a lot of kick in flavor so you wouldn't need to add that much. To all those wine makers out there, Do you think 4:1 is being to stingy on the blueberry?

I did a 1 gallon test batch about 2 months ago, 50/50 Apple cider and organic Blueberry juice. I loved it , but then I'm a blueberry freak. I wish the Blueberry juice wasn't so dang expensive, I'd like to make a 5 gal batch but thats like $60 worth of juice - OUCH !

Jens

This weekend, I pitched a batch where I substituted a half gallon of pomegranate juice and a half gallon of blueberry juice for one gallon of apple juice. It's sizzling away like a son-of-a-gun right now and smells great. I don't think I underdid it on either count, but I doubt that the final product will have bold pomegranate or blueberry character.

TL

Back