Apfelwein blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuf

Reaction score
Womped up a batch Saturday substituting 3068 weisen yeast and added a few cinnamon sticks. (hoping for something a little exotic) This morning I had must/ foam frothing out the airlock so I quickly rigged a blow off hose. Anyone else experience this? I assume it's the yeast, it didn't happen when I used the mantrachet.

jpuf said:
Womped up a batch Saturday substituting 3068 weisen yeast and added a few cinnamon sticks. (hoping for something a little exotic) This morning I had must/ foam frothing out the airlock so I quickly rigged a blow off hose. Anyone else experience this? I assume it's the yeast, it didn't happen when I used the mantrachet.
Yeah it's the yeast, probably a weisen characteristic. I used a white labs hefeweisen yeast before and that turned my carboy into a cannon.

hefe yeasts are known to have violent fermentations. Montrachet is more refined and polite about converting sugar to alcohol & CO2. :D

Yup, the 3068 needs a minimum o 33% of head space becuase it's considered a true top cropping yeast.

3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast.
Probable origin: Weihenstephan, Germany
Beer Styles: German Hefeweissen, Crystal weisse, Dunkel weisse, Weisenbock
Commercial examples may include: Ayinger Weissebeer, Tabernash Wheat, Sandwald, Erdinger Weisse, Schneider Weisse
Unique properties: Classic German wheat beer yeast, used by more German Brewers than any other strain in the production of Wheat beer. Properties dominated by banana ester production, phenols and clove like characteristics. Extremely attenuative yeast, which produces a tart thirst quenching finish. Extremely low floccing yeast remains in suspension readily with proteinacous wheat malt. Sometimes used in conjunction with lager yeast and kerausened to finish the beer and improve the overall dryness. High CO2 levels, typically at 2.7 - 3.2 volumes is desirable for best presentation. True top cropping yeast requires full headspace of 33%. Ester formation is significantly affected by aeration and pitching rates. Crystal weisse production typically requires DE filtration, may prove too difficult for Pad filtration only. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (64-75° F, 18-24° C)
Wyeast

I'm on 3rd day of a 3068 apfelwein and glad I went with blowoff hose.

EdWort said:
hefe yeasts are known to have violent fermentations.

Thats good to know, I am going to be doing a honey hefe for my SWMBO on tuesday. I think I will just rig up a blow off tube to start with and not mess with the airlock.

I substituted lalvin d-47 because my LHBS did not have montrachet, even this yeast caused a blow off (or should I say overflow). I have a batch going with a weizen yeast and I'm a little concerned because I have no tubing for a blow off tube so I'm just kinda stuck waiting for it to blow over.

david_the_greek said:
I substituted lalvin d-47 because my LHBS did not have montrachet, even this yeast caused a blow off (or should I say overflow). I have a batch going with a weizen yeast and I'm a little concerned because I have no tubing for a blow off tube so I'm just kinda stuck waiting for it to blow over.

Interesting. I've used D-47 on two batches and it has fermented exactly the same as Montrachet - that is, lots of little bubles but no krausen at all.

I used the Montrachet, followed Ed's directions to the "T", and this afternoon when I got home from work....I had an airlock full of apfelwein! My carboy was really sticky too, so I'm guessing it flooded a little. Anyone have this problem with the Montrachet?

jacobyhale said:
I used the Montrachet, followed Ed's directions to the "T", and this afternoon when I got home from work....I had an airlock full of apfelwein! My carboy was really sticky too, so I'm guessing it flooded a little. Anyone have this problem with the Montrachet?

How full did you fill the carboy? FYI, Most Treetop jugs hold more than a gallon.

The closest I ever got was the carboy in the middle. It just foamed a bit into the airlock. I don't fill beyond what you see on the one on the right or left.

15GallonsApfelwein.jpg

deharris said:
Interesting. I've used D-47 on two batches and it has fermented exactly the same as Montrachet - that is, lots of little bubles but no krausen at all.
Same here. Although I was scared and didn't really fill the carboy near as full as I could have. Wish I took an initial SG....

Yeah, mine was a little more full than your fullest carboy. I really need to invest in some of 6.5 gallon better bottles.

Back