Apera PH400 Good Deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw this Apera PH400 portable pH meter pop up on Homebrew Finds / Amazon for a reduced price of $105.19. Sounds like a good deal.
  • Comes with hard storage case
  • 3 Calibration solutions
  • 2 year warranty
  • Replaceable probe, currently $70 on Amazon
7 of the 8 Amazon reviews are very favorable (4 or 5 stars) with generally positive comments.
Seems to miss storage solution.

I read the previous posts/reviews on the PH60 here, it looks like to behave OK.

I'm thinking of getting this. At this price it's a bit lower than the Hach Pocket Pro+ ($123)

Anyone want to talk me out of this?

I have their pocket tester (pictured in your Amazon link), and I really like it. The model you are interested in should offer a nice step up.

I have their pocket tester (pictured in your Amazon link), and I really like it. The model you are interested in should offer a nice step up.

Thank you for offering the extra confidence. I went ahead and ordered it, before the 19 in stock could sell out.
I'll report back next week, after having had a chance to test it out.

Well there is a better chance of getting a decent meter for $100 today than there was 5 years ago but until you get it in hand and do the stability check you won't know. The specs don't tell you anything unless they specify exactly what 0.01 accuracy means. Every meter is 0.01 accurate right after calibration. The question is how long does it stay that accurate? Five minutes (not a good meter) or 5 hours (good meter). 0.2% accuracy on the mV reading isn't too promising unless that is bias error in which case it will be calibrated out and will stay calibrated out but if that is 0.2% rms then the meter won't be stable.

So as soon as you get it run the stability check and let us know. Maybe this is a new addition to the list of vetted meters. Maybe it is one to warn people away from.

Last edited:
Price Update:
Last evening the price on this unit was increased to $136.61. :(
That's a 30% price hike! Glad I didn't procrastinate.
0.2% accuracy on the mV reading ability isn't too promising
We'll see soon enough. Instrument is supposed to arrive Monday.

I haven't seen the instructions yet.
Any pointers to "initialize" the probe? Let it sit in pH7 buffer or storage solution for 24 hours, first?

Price Update:
Last evening the price on this unit was increased to $136.61. :(
That's a 30% price hike!
You may be responsible for this! If lots of readers saw your post and ordered one Amazon would, in response to the increased demand, automatically raises the price. They are well known for this.

I haven't seen the instructions yet.
Any pointers to "initialize" the probe? Let it sit in pH7 buffer or storage solution for 24 hours, first?
Often if you search for the product outside Amazon you will find a site (which might be the manufacturer's site) offering it which site also makes the user's manual available online. My perpetual suggestion for provisioning of the electrode is "Follow the manufacturer's recommendation."

You may be responsible for this! If lots of readers saw your post and ordered one Amazon, in response to the increased demand, automatically raises the price. They are well known for this.
Absolutely, typical retailer antics. But I doubt "I" caused that, they didn't have all that many. When I posted there were 19 left. I bought #19, a few hours later it was down to 16 units, still at the same "low" price. Price went up 30% shortly after that. Despicable! And we've seen it before.
My perpetual suggestion for provisioning of the electrode is "Follow the manufacturer's recommendation."
I'll certainly do that, and look for the manual in the meantime.

From memory, I seem to vaguely recall the instructions for mine indicating that upon first use it will gain precision if left to sit in the KCl solution for a few hours.

Absolutely, typical retailer antics. But I doubt "I" caused that, they didn't have all that many. When I posted there were 19 left. I bought #19, a few hours later it was down to 16 units, still at the same "low" price. Price went up 30% shortly after that. Despicable! And we've seen it before.

I'll certainly do that, and look for the manual in the meantime.

Have you received the meter yet?

Have you received the meter yet?

Yes, I've received the meter, everything looks really nice. I've given it some light use already.
It works really well. Just have to get used to so many buttons...
The probe comes submerged in a KCl storage solution.

Haven't had a chance to do the "ultimate" stability test yet, but it's behaving well and promising so far in early tests. It's been very stable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back