Apartment brewers: Water and Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
I live in an apartment, and at the moment the kitchen faucet has threads on the spout so I can easily thread on a bottle washer for washing bottles quickly or a hose for filling my kettle and cleaning.

I am moving into a new apartment soon, and the faucet is much newer and doesn't have threads on the spout. I really really like the ease of water access with my current apartment...

For my new apartment, what can I do for filling my kettle and washing bottles if I can't thread anything onto the faucet spout? I don't want to fill 8+ gallons into my kettle by hand, and I also don't want to wash bottles using a hand pump/sprayer...

Unfortunately my girlfriend really likes the new faucet and changing it out is going to be really hard to convince... any other alternatives?

Thanks in advance! :mug:

For washing bottles, if you rinse them out well when you use them, you don't really need to wash them further, just sanitize them. If you feel like you do need to wash them, you can soak them in PBW and then rinse really well under the faucet.

For filling your kettle, getting a gallon pitcher and measuring out your mash and sparge water that way isn't onerous and helps make sure you hit your correct volume marks.

Life is full of compromises - that's what makes things interesting!

I'm pretty sure there are adapters that screw onto existing faucets to enable hose thread connection. I believe that they are commonly used for connecting portable dishwashers. You should be able to find the adapters at a home improvement store.

Faucets have threads on both the outside and inside. I'm certain that your faucet has them. If it doesn't the complex would have to repair or replace the entire unit rather than just a screen.

FYI, the threaded part folks keep talking about is called an aerator. If you kitchen faucet does not accommodate any of the common adapters, chances are the bathroom lavatory will.

FYI, the threaded part folks keep talking about is called an aerator. If you kitchen faucet does not accommodate any of the common adapters, chances are the bathroom lavatory will.

Good info I will check my current apartment to confirm :mug:

You could always T off the water line under the counter with a ball valve as well.

Seconding this. I wrote an instructable a few months back on how I managed to get everything hooked up.

Assuming your new apartment has one of the kitchen sink faucets that pulls out and doubles as a vegetable sprayer, I'm guessing the solution that worked for me should work for you as well.

Here's the way I did it when I brewed on my deck and the closest water supply was my kitchen sink:
My Post

I ended up changing it out to this kind of valve with a 1/2" close nipple so I could mount it on a bracket under the sink near the door, made for a neater installation.

Back