APA w/ Amarillo (thoughts please!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeThatBeer

Reaction score
Hey All,

Let me know your take on this recipe I've concocted. I've got some Amarillo Hops that I want to feature in a Pale Ale (hoping to keep it under IPA territory).

Anything you'd add/remove - change hopping schedule? Overall - looking for an easy-drinking Pale Ale, with nice hop aroma (hence the dry hopping), but still has enough malt character and balance to make it interesting.

*also note - the victory/carapils are disposable here - - i just have this recently leftover and want to use it up.

7 Lbs - 2 Row Malt
1 Lbs - Vienna Malt
1 Lbs - Crystal 40
.5 Lbs - Carapils
.5 Lbs - Victory

.25 oz Magnum @ 60
.25 oz Amarillo @ 30, 15, 5, flameout
1 oz Amarillo dry hop for 1 week (after 2 week fermentation)

yeast = US-05

I'm getting this coming in at 10 SRM, and 33 IBU

any thoughts, changes? too much crystal maybe? crank the IBU's up to the low 40's maybe?

thanks all; brew on!

__beermethatbeer

I'd increase the late hops, but then I love amarillo hops!

More like this:
.50 ounce magnum 60 minutes (or whatever it takes to get to 25ish IBUs with this addition
.5 ounce amarillo 15 minutes
.5 ounce amarillo 5 minutes
Dryhop for 5-7 days with amarillo

What is your anticipated OG?

I'm getting OG = 1.053 FG = 1.012

Yooper - - thanks for the input; this is my first time using Amarillo, but from what i hear (and have tasted in microbrews) - is a winner; i may do just what you suggest. I find that Magnum is a nice bittering hop - so the .5oz should get the job done.

I just made one with a similar grain bill to yours and a similar hop schedule to what Yooper said (I had the amarillo mixed with cascade & centennial in the late additions) & it turned out fantastic.

The amarillo is fantastic. Super bright & citrusy. It's a winner.

Back