Anything Food Grade To Prevent Rust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
I am working on my BIAB system, and I am using a 62qt Bayou Classic steamer kettle. What I did was pick up a BBQ grate to put over the kettle and then I can set the steamer basket on top of it to drain the grain.

My issue is, though I have not even used it, just washing it has caused my BBQ grate to rust. Its just a light coating but I can wipe it all clean and just the humidly alone is causing it to just a light coating of surface rust.

I have seen a couple guys using these Webber BBQ grates for BIAB, but I have not seen anything about rusting issues.. Maybe Webber changed the type of metal they are made of? The packaging it came in said nothing about type of metal either.

Is there anything I could coat it with that would be safe to come in contact with the wort?? I though of coating it with some type of food oil, but then it would just make a huge mess when stored.

Ideas?

depending on the price range of the grate you currently have, I would say it sounds like it was chromed aluminum. I get that a lot with my wire whisks; after a few uses/washes, the shiny goes away and the base metal shows.

the only thing I can think of is to look for a stainless steel grate. this will probably cost a little more, but even itself out in the end.

as for a coat to save the one you have, I don't know of anything. most metal polishes/rust preventers are definitely NOT food grade.

I am working on my BIAB system, and I am using a 62qt Bayou Classic steamer kettle. What I did was pick up a BBQ grate to put over the kettle and then I can set the steamer basket on top of it to drain the grain.

My issue is, though I have not even used it, just washing it has caused my BBQ grate to rust. Its just a light coating but I can wipe it all clean and just the humidly alone is causing it to just a light coating of surface rust.

I have seen a couple guys using these Webber BBQ grates for BIAB, but I have not seen anything about rusting issues.. Maybe Webber changed the type of metal they are made of? The packaging it came in said nothing about type of metal either.

Is there anything I could coat it with that would be safe to come in contact with the wort?? I though of coating it with some type of food oil, but then it would just make a huge mess when stored.

Ideas?

Did you dry the grate very well after washing? That should do it.

Back