Anyone wonder...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If their most likely cause of death will be by trying to lift a 80lb mashtun onto their kitchen island to sparge, and get a bit wobbly? lol i can just imagine fallin on my ass with a 10 gallon cooler full on my chest....

edit: i've been thinking of investing in a pump...but for someone that it took 15 years to save up for $8 worth of tubing, the $150 a pump costs........

Whoa! A pump is dirt cheap compared to the risks of getting hurt.

6 years ago, doing step/decoction mashes, I got a hernia from lifting my 15 gallon, 60-80lb mash kettle a few times on and off my induction burner. Now that was only a 4" lift (or drop) each time onto (or off) my induction burner which was placed onto of a 14" (low) bench. The kettle would wait on that bench, right next to the burner, until the next heating step. So that's not even a bad lifting height.
I immediately stopped doing that.

I now mash in a converted cooler, placed on a 12" low bench. Vorlauf/lauter into a 3.5 gallon bucket. Collected runnings, about 2-3 gallons at a time get lifted and poured gently into the kettle, which sits on an induction plate on my countertop. No more really heavy lifting!
I could pump it to the kettle instead, which I sometimes do, when I'm in a fancy brewing mood.

I can still do step mashes by heating the mash directly in my kettle. I then use my cooler mash tun for lautering. I just scoop the mash carefully into that cooler using a 1 gallon, long handled pot. There are some drips, yup.

I now have 2 induction plates I can use side by side, so it adds more options in step mashing and performing decoctions, with no heavy lifting. Yup, brewing away.

I now mash in a converted cooler, placed on a 12" low bench.

...thanks for the idea....i just realized i think i got some chairs that are only as tall as the bucket...damn and it's half the height!

nomore.jpg

no more lifting onto the island that's a back breaker! i think i just never thought to see if the chairs were taller then the bucket, and just lifted it up to the island.....

:mug:

(you know with all these new ideas, and so much beer to drink to try them..... ;))

Most seats are angled downward toward the back, it's more comfortable for humans. For puppies not so, they keep sliding back.

Stick a rolled up towel or so underneath the back of you mash tun to level it out, reducing deadspace.
A slight lean forward is even better, as long as the tun doesn't slide off the friggin' chair, causing a humongous mess, ruining your brew day, and mine because you're gonna curse me out for offering the idea.

BTW, my mash tun is rectangular and can hold 54 qts.
Hence choosing a low bench I already owned, over a kitchen chair, but it would work too, sure. And a rolled up towel.

I am what I consider a lazy brewer... I do BIAB... because of Wiesner, which he includes a pully. there is not much heavy lifting. The more I get into this, the more equipment I purchase. Here is my simplified process, which is getting edited as I go.

I brew, I then drain into a fermenting bucket (now fermonster), I do lift fermonster/or bucket onto a furniture skid, to roll over to where my keezer is. once fermented, i use this pump Anti-Gravity Transfer Pump to transfer to my keg, no lifting.... No I a looking into getting a mach2 pump to recirculate/whirlpool my brew..

sigh.....wow... all i have to say is wow... so much money to simply things LOL.......

edit some spelling.

Last edited:
Stick a rolled up towel or so underneath the back of you mash tun to level it out, reducing deadspace.

damn, i was allready thinking being i fly sparge it wouldn't mater....but now i have a fix anyway.....

because you're gonna curse me out for offering the idea.

you know if i did i'd have a sense of humor...some may question my sanitation for my fermenter, but your tip of open air and UV, worked great, haven't had a 'sour' batch since, just what i'd call dusty...

you know if i did i'd have a sense of humor...some may question my sanitation for my fermenter, but your tip of open air and UV, worked great, haven't had a 'sour' batch since, just what i'd call dusty...
And plenty of sunshine and UV where you live, nice and high up. You can probably poke a hole in the sky!
If you're keen, place that bucket right underneath that ozone hole... and step away.

Uh... that bucket is your fermenter?
Yes, you must have a good sense of humor to post a picture like that.

I do BIAB

i'd never be able to BIAB on my kitchen stove, but i like that pump...i have a sump pump i only use for , hmm, hmm, cooling other things......and i've often considered just dropping it in the fermenter to fill kegs.....

Yes, you must have a good sense of humor to post a picture like that.

people think i'm joking when i'm serious, people think i'm ...well i lost that train of thought.....

no i just sparge slowly till the bucket is about 3/4 full then lift it to the 15 gallon kettle on the stove and pour it in....till the kettle is about 1/2" 1" from the top, then put the spurs to it.....and i do have a tube for the spout, i just didn't feel like setting up for a quick pic like it was brew day! ;) :mug:

edit: the chair and MT were already right next to each other as was the bucket, so i figured a quick pic.....

edit #2: my MT is like my security blanket, i take it wherever i go.....i get scared when it's not close to where i'm drinking beer.....

no i just sparge slowly till the bucket is about 3/4 full then lift it to the 15 gallon kettle on the stove and pour it in....
I wouldn't wait for that bucket to be all that full. It's much easier to lift and tilt 3-4 gallons than 5-6. Besides, you can start heating that kettle much sooner, shaving 1/2 hour off your brew day, easily.

Ideally you should prevent splashing when transferring the wort into your awaiting kettle, or the L* crowd is gonna come in and make your day like hell. Every time you brew. ;)

All I have to say is have to think of your situatiation. we only get to go off what you say... which is a lot LOL.... so we can only go off what our brains gather.... For me, I am trying to simply things as much as possible, since BIAB, not sure if it is a great decisions, but it works for me. if you are tired of lifting , get a pump to do the work for you

which is a lot LOL

i've been brewing for 16 years after 6 months of being around wimp meth heads....i once bought a book about it, you can imagine the fear i saw.....

i love it here! and those 16 years until a brief past 2 i've been on my own...i find it difficult to constrain myself.....

but anyway, damn where is that scroll to top button so i can make sure this is DRMM...there it is, and it is so, thanks IL...i'll play a song!

damn where is that scroll to top button so i can make sure this is DRMM...
As long as you're not inside an edit box, the HOME button will take you to the top, the END button to the bottom. That's where the forum titles and (some) navigation are to be found.
Or use the scrolling flywheel on your mouse, if it's set up like that.

Sadly, there's no easy way to return to where you came from. Although being on the bottom (of the page) you're close if you wanna say something.

And when you do, for G_d's sake stop using ellipses, especially in titles, I heard it drives some people nuts here... Where's our elliptical friend Owly?

And when you do, for G_d's sake stop using ellipses,

but when i'm typing, they taought me in 3rd grade periods were a one second pause...and that's how long it takes me to think of what to say next? ;) it's either that or the dreaded run-on sentence!

Back