Anyone want to take a crack at a Parish Ghost in the Machine clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also wanted to add since Parish started mass producing this beer, the grocery stores have a hard time selling it. it's sits on the shelf for months. I've seen 4 packs that were 6+ months old.
It's not as sought after as when there were limited quantities.
Just about every brewery in Louisiana is making a DIPA / NEIPA so there are alot more choices now then 3-5 years ago.

I just have a hard time paying that. Anyway, I actually had one Saturday. I dont know what it is but it taste different than the last one I tried (6+ months ago). The one I had Saturday was on tap. It's was pretty damn good vs the one I previously had. Not sure what they changed but it was much better.

Ghost used to be a seasonal beer. Now they make it full time. I'm sure they nailed down a recipe for mass production.

You have my attention!

Next time I go I'll get feelers.

I think the biggest thing they do is water chemistry. I doubt they use any boil hops. I would think all hops go in a WP then massive DH additions.
As for as malt, I would not be surprised if some of their grain bill is Pilsner. I have to assume there is alot of flaked wheat and some oats although I do not get a creamy texture.

Burial beer on their West Coast IPA (surf Wax IPA, very similar to Ghost.) uses a Pilsner base malt. That would be my guess too. Next time I'm in there I'll ask if I can get a clone recipe, or ballpark on one.

Back when NOLA Brewing had their original head brewer, he gave me all the clone recipes to their beers. But I lost them, and now they're not so friendly.

There is a recipe in one of the Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine for Acadiana Haze. It's a recipe by Parish Brewing. Taste wise it's nothing like Ghost as the hops used is not Citra but the color and taste is good. Might be a good base to start with and just go with all Citra hops.
I'm pretty sure they use some amount of Pilsner Malt so maybe a 50/50 split of 2 Row and Pilsner would be a good start.

Not Ghost but tomorrow they are releasing a year-around beer called Dr. Juice (I think there might be other companies in the US with this name). They claim it's 'crushable' at 6% which, for Parish, is low ABV. Here's their description but I've heard from someone who knows someone, yada, yada, yada, that it might be considered a baby Ghost:

The Doctor is in. Introducing your new go-to IPA, Dr. Juice is a highly crushable juice bomb. Dry hopped with a blend of our favorite hand selected hops from the Yakima Valley, Dr. Juice’s drinkability is sneaky good considering it clocks in at 6% ABV. The pour glows a rich cantaloupe hue with a thick, frosted haze and soft mouthfeel. Aroma and taste is full of passion fruit, papaya, and blood orange, making it drink like a glass of freshly squeezed juice.

And I think it's supposed to be $10-12 for a 6 pack.

Not Ghost but tomorrow they are releasing a year-around beer called Dr. Juice (I think there might be other companies in the US with this name). They claim it's 'crushable' at 6% which, for Parish, is low ABV. Here's their description but I've heard from someone who knows someone, yada, yada, yada, that it might be considered a baby Ghost:

The Doctor is in. Introducing your new go-to IPA, Dr. Juice is a highly crushable juice bomb. Dry hopped with a blend of our favorite hand selected hops from the Yakima Valley, Dr. Juice’s drinkability is sneaky good considering it clocks in at 6% ABV. The pour glows a rich cantaloupe hue with a thick, frosted haze and soft mouthfeel. Aroma and taste is full of passion fruit, papaya, and blood orange, making it drink like a glass of freshly squeezed juice.

Yeah I saw that- Hoping to pick up a 6 pack when it makes it to my neck of the woods.

I bet they are making something less aggressive than Ghost and making something close to Juicifer by Garnly Barley.

I also wonder if the fact that Dixie is coming out with 2 hazy type beers that are supposed to be year round had something to do with this.
Envie is somewhat the same though the last few batches weren't as good to my taste buds.
I try to keep Ghost in my fridge all the time but it's very expensive. Heck, I can't even drink all the beer I brew!

Or even Voodoo by Tin Roof, which is also very good.

I haven't tried Voodoo. I live in Asheville now, so I stop by the store on the way home and pick up a few.

I work on a boat in NOLA area.

I also wonder if the fact that Dixie is coming out with 2 hazy type beers that are supposed to be year round had something to do with this.
Envie is somewhat the same though the last few batches weren't as good to my taste buds.
I try to keep Ghost in my fridge all the time but it's very expensive. Heck, I can't even drink all the beer I brew!

Amen to that.

Voodoo is ok, Juicifer on tap is really good. I do see Ghost all over the place now where I live, but’s it’s usually 3-6months old.

I'll be at Dixie end of the month so looking forward to trying what they have.

In my fridge in Asheville, NC.

The other beer is Hi-Wire 10w40 King Cake stout. Talk about good.

IeBg1A7h.jpg

bpJG9MGh.jpg

I'm in the Nola area and was told they use hop oil in the secondary. A friend toured the place (im getting around to it) and the brewers left the recipe chart for Canebreak out in the open (he snapped a pic!). So, I will be in search of the Ghost chart once I make it there. More curious about their bittering hops. Could probably sort out the rest. PS, im drink one as i type. Cheers.
Hey man, do you still have access to that canebrake chart? Looking to brew a gluten free version.

I’ve drank a bunch of GITM. One of the few hazy DIPAs I will consistently drink. All Citra hopped (maybe some hop extract for bittering). I’ve heard they use flaked oats and golden naked oats, but not wheat in their hazies, but I wouldnt say it was a reliable source. More hearsay and rumors. If I had to guess a recipe based on what I’ve read and the rumors I heard, it would likely be something like:

75% 2row
15% flaked oats
5% golden naked oats
5% carapils/carafoam
Minor bittering addition. Something like 20-30IBUs. Probably a hop extract
Heavy whirlpool. Likely 1.5-2#/bbl Citra. 4-6oz for 5.5-6g batch
London III. Ferment at 68F. Raise to 72 towards end to help finish.
Dryhop with 4-5#/bbl 80/20 Citra (maybe blended with some citra cryo or incognito for yield). Probably around 12-14oz for 5.5-6g batch to yield 5g. Split dry hop. Half during active ferment during last 10pts of gravity. Second dry hop 3 days later. Dry hop 3 more days.
SG 1.079-1.081
FG 1.015-1.017
IBUs 50-60 (it’s a DIPA. this won’t taste bitter and GITM is so drinkable, I think there’s enough for balance so it isn’t flabby)
Water: chloride/sulfate 150:100

Last edited:
Has anyone degassed this beer to see its FG? That's always a good place to start - if they list ABV you will know what OG to shoot for.

So, I randomly had some delivered to me - I'm not sure what the hype is about (it wasn't bad by any means). I took the liberty of degassing and testing it -

FG: 1.014 (which would put OG at 1.078 for 8.5% ABV)
pH: 4.6 (pretty typical)

I also had their anniversary IPA and that was pretty great at 11% ABV. In its description they mention using oats and raw wheat - so I feel like there is a good chance they use those in GITM too

So this thread is just about it on GITM clone, but I didn't see a lot of recipe discussion. This is absolutely my favorite hazy IPA, from Maine to San Diego to Florida to Oregon where I live. It's ****ing delicious, so well balanced, and my favorite part - it's just clean, demands another sip. I doubt I can get that perfect ripe citra aroma and flavor without a centrifuge, but I'm going to try something like:

50% Pils
25% Golden Promise
12.5% Flaked Oats
10% Wheat Malt
2.5% Golden Naked Oats

Water will be about 150ppm Cl, 80ppm SO4, 100 Ca.

Citra and a little Galaxy at flameout, and a lot more citra on down the line. I will do just one dry hop, below 60F when it's time to chill and crash the beer. To me the hop character is VERY bright, it tastes like a tinge of galaxy in there. That may just be the amazing hop lots they selected, but I think I can achieve that deliciousness by goosing it with a little galaxy (3:1 citra:galaxy). This will be my buddy's wedding beer but I'll make enough to have some on tap beforehand.

Here goes nothing...

So this thread is just about it on GITM clone, but I didn't see a lot of recipe discussion. This is absolutely my favorite hazy IPA, from Maine to San Diego to Florida to Oregon where I live. It's ****ing delicious, so well balanced, and my favorite part - it's just clean, demands another sip. I doubt I can get that perfect ripe citra aroma and flavor without a centrifuge, but I'm going to try something like:

50% Pils
25% Golden Promise
12.5% Flaked Oats
10% Wheat Malt
2.5% Golden Naked Oats

Water will be about 150ppm Cl, 80ppm SO4, 100 Ca.

Citra and a little Galaxy at flameout, and a lot more citra on down the line. I will do just one dry hop, below 60F when it's time to chill and crash the beer. To me the hop character is VERY bright, it tastes like a tinge of galaxy in there. That may just be the amazing hop lots they selected, but I think I can achieve that deliciousness by goosing it with a little galaxy (3:1 citra:galaxy). This will be my buddy's wedding beer but I'll make enough to have some on tap beforehand.

Here goes nothing...
I am anxiously waiting to hear your results! This is one of my favorite beers also and luckily they distribute it at he Publix Grocery stores here. I am suprised there is not more action ofn cloning this. There was some discussion on a LA beer blog but never went anywhere.

Ghost has really been hit or miss for the last few 4 packs purchased over the last year. I would say one out of four was actually like Ghost, one of these 4 packs purchased was almost undrinkable. They are defiantly brewing it more than in years past because its now everywhere. Bet that's why it's not as good as years past. As far as the recipe and the water profile I'm wandering if the sulfate isn't higher than the chloride ratio.

I just had three I bought off Tavour. Bottle date 7/28. ****ing delicious. So good, and such good haze stability!

I'm in the Nola area and was told they use hop oil in the secondary. A friend toured the place (im getting around to it) and the brewers left the recipe chart for Canebreak out in the open (he snapped a pic!). So, I will be in search of the Ghost chart once I make it there. More curious about their bittering hops. Could probably sort out the rest. PS, im drink one as i type. Cheers.

Can you post the Canebreak photo?

Latest posts

Back