Anyone wanna share a 1 gallon blueberry mead recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're used to making beer, then yes. Think wine time-frames. How many times to you see 4-5 year old red wines sold as this year's batch.
Not many...
I made a 5 gallon beer a few years ago. I think I’ll stick to mead. Beer is a little smelly to me

If you're used to making beer, then yes. Think wine time-frames. How many times to you see 4-5 year old red wines sold as this year's batch.

You know, I looked at the batch today and the 1/2 added blueberry juice is still bubbling every 30 seconds. The 1/2 honey added is not. I thought it was done fermenting?

You know, I looked at the batch today and the 1/2 added blueberry juice is still bubbling every 30 seconds. The 1/2 honey added is not. I thought it was done fermenting?
It's possible that the honey one has stalled. Check your gravity and see if it has plateaued. Bubbles are a good sign, but measuring the gravity confirms that you are still fermenting.

This is what mine looks like some 9 months old. It's really hard to photograph because it's so dark. Tastes like a good Shirah red wine. The tannins are fading slowly and this is turning into a delicious table wine with red meat dishes and steaks.

Glad I still have a few gallons left. :)

20210403_145229.jpg

This is what mine looks like some 9 months old. It's really hard to photograph because it's so dark. Tastes like a good Shirah red wine. The tannins are fading slowly and this is turning into a delicious table wine with red meat dishes and steaks.

View attachment 724501

that looks good! Mine looks nothing like that. Can’t see through it right now. I have not used any type of clarifier yet. The one with added grape juice doesn’t have gunk at the bottom. The one with added honey and water does. It will get there!

View attachment 724501
well...time to rack and my added honey one will have to be strained before I can actually rack it. It’s like a very pulpy juice! How can I tell if this one is bad? The added blueberry juice one seems to be fine. I’ll find out soon!

I usually give 10 months to a year to finish completely. Primary for at least a month. Secondary for 4 to 6 weeks on fruit for melomels then keg condition for up to a year. I take readings, sample and make adjustments as needed during that time.
IMG_20210319_100611887.jpg

Worst case, cap it and stick in the corner for a year or so...

Mine was very wine like. Body about like a good shirah or zinfandel.
2nd Rack done! Had a hard time getting readings but the Added honey was 17.5 sugar by weight, 70 SG, 9.0 ABV. The juice added one didnt read much at all but showed 1.0 sugar by weight, 1.5 SG and .5 ABV. Smells much better than the first rack. That smelled like race gas. The wife will taste both tonight. Any guess which one she will like the best?
34300D67-92C0-41CC-8FEF-CBFF8807B0F0.jpeg
9D1ACEDC-A784-4875-A862-59F95C6E250C.jpeg

Time for one more rack for this batch! The wife last tasted the batch I added honey to on April 29, 2021. And she liked it. I’ll have her taste it again and bottle it. A little worried about the batch I added blueberry juice to. I couldn’t get a SG reading on it and it looks and smells like Juicy Juice I used to give to the kids. Might do what Videojunkie suggest, cap it and leave it. I’ll let you know!
7B80F38B-EC44-442E-BEE9-DB85D646E787.jpeg

Little bit of a recap. Let me know what ya think. I started this blueberry one gallon 1-17-21. Decide it had to many tannins in it and the wife said it tasted bitter and strong on 3-6-21. On 3-25-21 we split the gallon in half and added honey and water to one and blueberry concentrate and water to the other. 4-29-21 we racked it and took a reading. Had a hard time getting a reading on the blueberry concentrate but final got: 1.0 % sugar by weight (blue) 1.5 specific gravity (black) .5 ABV (red)

The added honey mixture was :17.5 % sugar by weight (blue) 70 Specific gravity 9.0 ABV. Blueberry concentrate tasted really dry and strong The honey one tasted a little better. The wife doesn’t like dry.

My question is do I take another reading for ABV now before you bottle it and is this the reading we go with? We are going to bottle it and put it away on August 11, 2021.
Thanks!
Art.

Right where the sharp curve to the cork is. But for a first go, I think you did a marvelous job.

Put the in the wine cabinet, and pull one out in 6 months and see how you like it.

Right where the sharp curve to the cork is. But for a first go, I think you did a marvelous job.

Put the in the wine cabinet, and pull one out in 6 months and see how you like it.
Great! Looking forward to it. Thanks for all your help. Now, off to the next batch. I have a ton of honey and a ton of blueberries!

I’m reading where people are “Turning” their wine? I’m still new and I’m going to leave my mead for 6 months after bottling and try it. Am I supposed to rotate it around or lay it down, change positions during that 6 month?
Thanks,
Art

I have never bothered rotating meads or anything.

If you have a cork cork, they can get dry/brittle and dissolve or fall apart, so it doesn't hurt to go sideways to keep it moist.

Turning wine is done to allow the sediment to fall to the bottom, and slightly attach to the wall. Turning allows more wall space to attach to. So theoretically, it helps hold more sediment from mixing when you pour. Not something I think has enough noticeable benefit to really bother with.

I have never bothered rotating meads or anything.

If you have a cork cork, they can get dry/brittle and dissolve or fall apart, so it doesn't hurt to go sideways to keep it moist.

Turning wine is done to allow the sediment to fall to the bottom, and slightly attach to the wall. Turning allows more wall space to attach to. So theoretically, it helps hold more sediment from mixing when you pour. Not something I think has enough noticeable benefit to really bother with.

Thanks for the info!

Back