Anyone using 6 Gal Torpedo Keg to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 6 Gallon Torpedo keg, but am not seeing many reviews of them out there. I'm hoping to hear some first hand experience from anyone who uses them to ferment. My plan is to use a floating dip tube and spunding valve to ferment under pressure. Would likely transfer to a serving keg to free this up to start the next batch.

There are a couple of people who speak to that experience on Morebeer if you look at the reviews for it. I ordered one a couple weeks ago based off of those, but haven't used it yet. Actually...I haven't even washed the damn thing yet...I'll do that this weekend since I'll be cleaning at least 1 other keg anyways.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 6 Gallon Torpedo keg, but am not seeing many reviews of them out there. I'm hoping to hear some first hand experience from anyone who uses them to ferment. My plan is to use a floating dip tube and spunding valve to ferment under pressure. Would likely transfer to a serving keg to free this up to start the next batch.

Was the trigger ever pulled? :D

I just put in an order for one of these 23L (6.1gal) torpedo kegs last evening. Similar to you am using a floating dip tube and also have a spunding valve. I already ferment in 19L (5gal) cornys but wanted to get a full keg's worth of finished beer and looks like this will fit in my ferm-fridge.

Older post, but for anyone else considering this, I highly recommend it. I was going to pull the trigger on conicals, but because I need to pull my keezer from the wall to swap kegs, cold crashing in the fermenter is important to me so I don't kick up sediment in the kegs when moving the keezer. I really didn't want the large expense of a glycol chiller or ferment chamber to fit conicals.

I use two of the 6 gallon torpedos to ferment in and absolutely love it. I also use the floating dip tube.

Some of the pros:
Can ferment full 5 gallon batches
Stainless steel fermenter
Can pressure ferment/spund
Closed transfers to kegs
I use a gas to gas jumper to purge serving keg of O2 with fermentation CO2
Extended cold crashing/lagering with no fear of O2 ingress
Fits in my fermentation mini fridges
Floating dip tube keeps all trub out of serving keg
Easy to take samples for gravity reading/tasting

I built a 25" pedestal for my fermentation fridges so pressure from inside the torpedos from spunding/pressure fermenting makes it easy to gravity transfer to my serving kegs. I also use tilt hydrometers so I know when I'm at FG and can begin crashing/lagering.

Attachments

• IMG_20210208_122816103_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210208_122816103_HDR.jpg
    776.6 KB · Views: 24
I have not used that particular keg, but have a 7.75 gal sanke with ball-lock adapter and floating dip tube. I also ferment in 5gal cornies with floating dip tube. I do things very much like the poster above with purging serving keg with blow-off. Jumper from gas post on fermenting keg-->liquid post on serving keg-->spunding valve on gas post of serving keg. I wish I had the larger opening for cleaning on this rather than my sanke, but I don't think they had come out yet when I first got this setup.

My brother and I have been brewing 10 gallon batches together for years. Gives us each a full 5 gallon corny when done. First we fermented in glass, then plastic carboys. Chest freezer with heater for temp control. We considered a conical but we ferment in an unheated garage so would need both cooling and heating.

Just kegged our first batch fermented in 6 gallon Torpedo kegs with floating dip tubes. Worked great - even with a half pound of dry hop pellets in each keg.

I think...if I had it to over again... I would have bought (2) of these instead of (1) 7.6 gallon kegmenter. I think I am going to buy them anyway and scale to ten gallon batches.

I finally got a brew done with my 23L torpedo. Even with the Anvil 6.5, I can get 21L of wort into the keg.

Haven't spunded yet, tho a BoPils is on deck soon.

Also using the floating dip tube with the mesh screen add-on. Doing a closed transfer to a standard corny keg is simple and it gets filled right up to the gas post!

The fit is a bit tight in a 4.4cu ft Danby Designer fridge, works tho.

Attachments

• 20220226_180548.jpg
    20220226_180548.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220226_180614.jpg
    20220226_180614.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220226_192321.jpg
    20220226_192321.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220226_194507.jpg
    20220226_194507.jpg