Anyone Used WLP099?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim_Ale

Reaction score
I used this strain in my second brew to try and reach my ABV goal as last time I finished a bit higher than I wanted.

Just got home from vacation (brewed on Saturday, left Sunday morn, got home today) and the bedroom REEKED!

I left it in there because the heat stays at 68*, the upper range for this strain, and because no sunlight could reach it.

I took off the airlock to look inside and everything looks normal but the smell almost made me sick.

The White Labs Cal Ale yeast I used the first time off gassed like hops and smelt good, this one smells like sulfur/rotten eggs.

Is that normal for this strain (WLP099)? Just as a note I def did not under pitch, if anything I over pitched. I did pour the whole 1L starter in and 2 more vials of WLP099 so it was over 300 billion cells for an OG of 1.084

I've heard that WLP099 gives off a sulfur smell, especially when fermenting at higher temps

Out of curiosity where did it start and finish? The one and only time I used WLP099 I finished close to 1.000 and it was like rocket fuel. Well maybe not that bad but it had a an alcohol burn to it.

Out of curiosity where did it start and finish? The one and only time I used WLP099 I finished close to 1.000 and it was like rocket fuel. Well maybe not that bad but it had a an alcohol burn to it.

I second. It's one strong strain, good stuff!

Well it started at 1.084 and temp was at 68* ambient room temp. Now thinking about it that means actual ferm temp was higher. This strain works best at 65-68*.

White Labs actually recommends starting this strain at warmer temps then bringing it down a couple days later.

I have it sitting in my Rubbermaid container with the temp at 68* in water with aquarium heater. Will probably bring it down to 65 in the next day or so. Sound good?

Back