Anyone use Wyeast nutrient ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxBrew

Reaction score
Picked up a vile today while getting some odds and ends. 1/2tsp per 5gal. Wonder if it could be used in a stater ? If so how much would you use ?

I do use it, both in full boils and starters. I don't measure it for starters, just kind of roughly estimate a dash. 2 dashes for a big lager starter. Its always worked well for me.

I do use it, both in full boils and starters. I don't measure it for starters, just kind of roughly estimate a dash. 2 dashes for a big lager starter. Its always worked well for me.

Thank you :mug: wasn't sure if the starter amounts needed to be accurate.

i do the same. I just grab a little pinch out for a starter, dont really measure. Use as directed in the boil.

edm1602 said:
Ever use this rejuvenate the yeast to bring down the Final Gravity? I'm stalled at 1.020 for a week.

Could be many reasons for this and most likely just adding nutrient is not going to fix it

Extract or all grain? If extract it could be the dreaded1.020, some recipes just get stuck here and never move.

If AG could be grist, mash temps, yeast, temps, lots of variables.....

Could be many reasons for this and most likely just adding nutrient is not going to fix it

Extract or all grain? If extract it could be the dreaded1.020, some recipes just get stuck here and never move.

If AG could be grist, mash temps, yeast, temps, lots of variables.....

It is an extract. Will trying it hurt? This is my second brew and second one to stall 1.020... what the heck am I doing or is this truly something out of my control???

I don't think it would help or hurt if you only pitch energizer. The only thing I've found that consistently I unsticks a fermentation is pitching a new starter.

On the other hand, I think yeast energizer is an excellent idea for your future extract brews. Some extracts tend to be FAN deficient.

I pitch the same amount for my starters as I do for 5 gallons. I would think the amount needed is proportional to the amount of yeast not the amount of wort.

Are you guys noticing a difference in fermintation when using it compared to not using it ? What about using it when rehydrating dry yeast ?

Are you guys noticing a difference in fermintation when using it compared to not using it ? What about using it when rehydrating dry yeast ?

Rehydrating for a starter or rehydrating to direct pitch? if you're talking about a starter I would put the nutrient in the wort boil for the last 15 minutes still at the regular 1/2tsp dose. If you're talking about a direct pitch then the nutrient still goes in your wort boil for the last 15 minutes. Doesn't matter if you're using liquid or dry yeast.

I just recently started using it in my starters and brews.

For the starters I definitely see a thicker layer of yeast.

For my 5gallon brews I use a 6.5g bucket which has about 3.5inchs of headspace. Ever since I started using the nutrients I always need to put a blow off tube now. My temps are controlled by a old chest freezer so its not due to excessive heat.

I use it for starters and for regular 5 gallon batches. I've noticed a definite difference in my fermentations.

I pitch the same amount for my starters as I do for 5 gallons. I would think the amount needed is proportional to the amount of yeast not the amount of wort.

Interesting, but how does the yeast absorb it? If it enters their cell walls I'd want to to be at a certain known concentration.

When you make starters do you look at inoculation levels? Typically with a starter that propagates you shoot for each cell to double at least once. Isn't that a different cell count?

Latest posts

Back