Anyone use this brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just received my first brewing kit from my awesome son and I thought I had a 5 gallon kettle to do my first couple batches, but I was wrong - I only have a 12 qt kettle. So I need to buy one, and since I have done all grain brewing with a friend, I expect I too will go that route pretty soon. So I want a kettle that will be big enough to boil 6-7 gallons. 36 qts seems like a good size, and this one certainly seems like a good price:

http://www.homebrewing.org/PRE-ORDER-9-Gallon-Brew-Pot-with-2-welds_p_1684.html

Anybody ever owned or used it? It looks to be the Bayou Classic as sold here:

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/1036_stainless_steel_pot.htm

And also sold on Amazon with good feedback. Advantage being that it is already drilled for ball valve and thermometer. I assume I should get SS rather than brass ball valve. I'm going to call them to check on availability and to ask any questions. I'll confirm that there is a threaded connection on the inside for false bottom or hop screen. Anything else I should ask?

Thanks for the help.

I haven't used that particular model but my impressions of it are that the fittings already being in there is a huge bonus. If it were me, and I wanted to be doing 7 gallon batches, I'd probably try for at least a 10 gallon kettle though.

I haven't used that particular model but my impressions of it are that the fittings already being in there is a huge bonus. If it were me, and I wanted to be doing 7 gallon batches, I'd probably try for at least a 10 gallon kettle though.

Sorry if I was unclear. I want to do 5 gallon batches. If I understand correctly, that means I need to put about 5.5 gallons into primary, which means I need to start my boil with around 6.5 gallons. Seems as though a 9 gallon pot should be sufficient, no?

Sorry if I was unclear. I want to do 5 gallon batches. If I understand correctly, that means I need to put about 5.5 gallons into primary, which means I need to start my boil with around 6.5 gallons. Seems as though a 9 gallon pot should be sufficient, no?

It seems sufficient right up until the hot break starts spilling over the sides.. :rockin:

Yeah, you're right. If you want to do, for instance, cornelius keg sized batches, then a 9 gallon boil kettle is more than enough. If you can find a kettle for relatively close to the same price with a 10 gallon volume, I would still go with that though because in the world of brew kettles-- bigger is better.

I have a 9 gallon pot and I certainly wish it was bigger. I do full boils all grain and sometimes I need more space.

Yeah, you're right. If you want to do, for instance, cornelius keg sized batches, then a 9 gallon boil kettle is more than enough. If you can find a kettle for relatively close to the same price with a 10 gallon volume, I would still go with that though because in the world of brew kettles-- bigger is better.

I'm open for any suggestions or recommendations. Bayou Classics has a 44 qt for $21 more than the 36, but the web site selling the 36 with the fittings already drilled and welded doesn't list that one. The attraction to the 36 qt is that I can get a kettle that should be sufficient already drilled with two couplings for $80, or with a SS ball valve for $105. I haven't seen anything else anywhere that comes close to that size for that price. And this is all assuming that price is still in effect when the pot is back in stock, which may not be the case.

My original question is also still open - anybody ever use this kettle?

I have a 5 gallon cheapo stainless but mainly focus on 2-3.5 gallon smaller batches so I can brew more often and fool around with ingredients and not always make kit beer. Anyhow, I have posted this kettle before as have others, and although I don't own it, but if I was thinking about going all grain, I'd buy this right now

http://brewhemoth.com/penrose-kettle

I don't need 16 gallons worth of space in my kettle, but still, doesn't look like you can go wrong.

If you are already spending $80, why not just start looking for some 1/2 barrel kegs and convert them? You can usually find them for about $20-40. You could EASILY get a 13.5g sanke keg and convert it yourself with weldless fittings for under $80.

You are already "upgrading" from your 12qt pot...if you get a 36 or even 44, you're still going to eventually upgrade. Not that having a smaller pot isn't nice to have, but you might as well save the trouble and just go as big as you can.

If you really want to start a little smaller, just get a turkey fryer off craigslist. It'll likely come with a decent sized pot to start with, and then you'll also have a burner for full boils(assuming you don't already)

The ONLY reason I would consider paying MORE for a kettle(normal stainless kettle-not keg), is because they are lighter and less bulky...but I just can't justify the price difference at this point. Kegs are the way to go IMHO!

I have a 5 gallon cheapo stainless but mainly focus on 2-3.5 gallon smaller batches so I can brew more often and fool around with ingredients and not always make kit beer. Anyhow, I have posted this kettle before as have others, and although I don't own it, but if I was thinking about going all grain, I'd buy this right now

http://brewhemoth.com/penrose-kettle

I don't need 16 gallons worth of space in my kettle, but still, doesn't look like you can go wrong.

Thanks. That looks like a nice kettle at a great price, but I have no desire for a 16 gal kettle at this time. Sure wish they made a smaller one too. My wife doesn't drink beer, I don't drink large quantities, and I don't throw parties, so I doubt I'll be doing any batches larger than 5 gal any time soon. Like you, I'd rather do multiple smaller batches. In fact, I may eventually experiment with reducing AG recipes down to 3 or 4 gallons so I can also brew more often and have greater variety in the fridge.

I have this exact pot purchased from Amazon. I've only got two batches under my belt, so i'm probably not in any position to really make an educated review but I like it so far. Its a bit thin so you have to manager your fire. I ended up with a lil black scorch line where the burner's steel contacted the pot in one specific location. Second batch I didn't turn the fire up as high and didn't have the same problem.

When I threw my whirfloc tab in I almost had a crisis. I'm doing full boils and I can attest that 6 gallons is not enough so 6.5 is probably the way to go. I may have boiled over had I had the extra half gallon. I had my spray bottle handy, however, and was able to knock it down.

I would guess that its the smallest you can feasibly do full batch boils in.

again, i'm a newb so take my advice with a grain of salt.

oh, one last thing. it was really late last night when i finished my boil, so rather than clean it i just filled it with water to the top. I had a lil trickle of water from the holes where the handle is riveted? to the pot. I didn't have any problem when actually cooking, however.

I have this exact pot purchased from Amazon. I've only got two batches under my belt, so i'm probably not in any position to really make an educated review but I like it so far. Its a bit thin so you have to manager your fire. I ended up with a lil black scorch line where the burner's steel contacted the pot in one specific location. Second batch I didn't turn the fire up as high and didn't have the same problem.

When I threw my whirfloc tab in I almost had a crisis. I'm doing full boils and I can attest that 6 gallons is not enough so 6.5 is probably the way to go. I may have boiled over had I had the extra half gallon. I had my spray bottle handy, however, and was able to knock it down.

I would guess that its the smallest you can feasibly do full batch boils in.

again, i'm a newb so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the review. sounds like a decent kettle. Can you tell me if the bottom is the same thickness as the sides, or is it thicker? None of the ads I've seen say.

Also, I saw a note on Amazon that someone frying a turkey in this kettle had a problem with leaking from the handles, but since wort isn't too flamable, us brewers shouldn't have much to worry about.

It feels like its the same guage on the bottom as the side wall. Definitely not a high end pot, but its big and I can do full boils in it without a problem. I like it so far. As I progress it'll probably end up being used for something other than my kettle.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd buy a 10 gallon brew kettle for my 5.5 gallon batches. My kettle will hold 7.5 gallons at the lip, but for a safe, rolling boil, it will only hold 5.5, which means I have to split my boil between two pots. Pain in the ass.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd buy a 10 gallon brew kettle for my 5.5 gallon batches. My kettle will hold 7.5 gallons at the lip, but for a safe, rolling boil, it will only hold 5.5, which means I have to split my boil between two pots. Pain in the ass.

Are you saying you own this same 9 gal pot, but it really only holds 7.5 gallons? Or if you're saying a 10 gal is better than a 9 gal, I would agree, however, I just haven't yet found one that comes close to this price. Next best deal would be the 16 gal Penrose, but I just don't want one that big. And they are out of stock right now.

I just came from their store and was looking at that exact pot. It is a Bayou Classic 9 gallon pot that they had the fittings welded to. They have another version that has a real nice sight glass on it as well. I have the same pot but I added weld-less fittings on it myself. As has been stated above, I wish that I had purchased a 10 gallon instead. 9 gallons is OK if you're real careful, or real lucky, but 10 would definitely be better.

Are you saying you own this same 9 gal pot, but it really only holds 7.5 gallons? Or if you're saying a 10 gal is better than a 9 gal, I would agree, however, I just haven't yet found one that comes close to this price. Next best deal would be the 16 gal Penrose, but I just don't want one that big. And they are out of stock right now.

Nope, just speaking about volume is all.

I got one of these for christmas and love it. I had asked for SS fittings but got brass (santa's fault, ordered incorrectly). Anyway it is a nice pot, it would be nice if the bottom was a bit thicker, another ply, but for the price I don't think you can beat it. I have run 3 - 5 gal batches through doing full boils with no issue, plenty of room IMO.

TxBigHops - whichever pot you decide on, buy a 3 piece ball valve that can be disassembled. I am sooo glad I went that route - 5 min tops to break down the ball valve, clean, reassemble (base fitting stays on the kettle.) You can get the 3 piece at a good price from bargain fittings .com: http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=128

PS: did someone post they have this pot and it leaks @ the handle rivets? That would be a deal breaker for me. I would spend more $$ for a mega-pot (austin home brew, more beer, etc.) They are so much thicker. . .will last a lifetime. 6 months after you buy the pot you'll forget what you spent. . .but you'll appreciate (or regret) the quality every time you use it. Hey, whatever you decide, good brewing!

I got one of these for christmas and love it. I had asked for SS fittings but got brass (santa's fault, ordered incorrectly). Anyway it is a nice pot, it would be nice if the bottom was a bit thicker, another ply, but for the price I don't think you can beat it. I have run 3 - 5 gal batches through doing full boils with no issue, plenty of room IMO.

Thanks. I appreciate the first hand review. I was thinking of going with the brass ball valve to save a few bucks. I read here that brass is ok for a boiling pot, but it has to be pickled first. Did you pickle yours and if so, what is the process? I assume it involves vinegar, just not sure what to do. Soak, boil, or what?

I recently upgraded to this one from williams brewing when I tried a full boil in a 7 gallon pot, and failed. Definitely worth the money

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWER_S_EDGE_40_QUART_BREWKET_P2366C50.cfm

One more gallon, plus the valve comes with it.

SWEET! Thanks! This looks like a great alternative. Just a bit more money but probably well worth it for the extra gallon of space. And with weldless attachment the ball valve could be swapped out for a SS down the road if desired. Giving up the extra coupling is probably not that big of a deal. So is this about the same grade of stainless as the Bayou Classics pot? Anybody seen both of them to compare.

Thaks again for the suggestion. This one now goes to the top of my list.

I had had looked at the Williams pot but with the one from AHB for 2 reasons.

1) Thickness, the AHB pot is 18 gauge, the Williams, 22.
2) Price, though not as significant.

I really didn't see the need for another gallon as I do 5 gallon batches. Now that I have used the pot I am glad I didn't go thinner as well, I will see how long this one lasts.

On the brass fittings, I was to worried about 'pickling', you could use Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar. I just cleaned the pot, boiled vinegar water, ran it through the valve, and did a straight water boil. The inside got a layer oxidation and I just left it at that.

Back