Anyone use the disposable oxygen tanks for aerating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does everyone store their O2 cylinders? I guess more accurately, WHERE in your home do you store your cylinders? All the fire and flammability warnings are kind of creepy. Is there any safe place in a house? I figure the garage is not a good place, especially since the summer, since the temperature could easily creep up rather high.

brewing o2 is stored in the garage with the rest of the beer gear, it's next to the welding gear. Hopefully i'll never pick up the wrong bottle when aerating :)

But i do have separate tanks for brewing and cutting. I get 'em refilled at the same place and have separate regs for them ($10 used on ebay) not because i'm anxious about reactions, just because i'm lazy and don't want to disconnect/swap out the gear each time i want to do something.

I have several empty disposable tanks. What is the proper way to dispose of them? I assume I can't just throw them away in the trash.

rack04 said:
I have several empty disposable tanks. What is the proper way to dispose of them? I assume I can't just throw them away in the trash.

That's what I usually do with my mini propane tanks. Idk what else to do with them the table has no info....

The red O2 tanks are aluminum. I cut them open then recycle them. Propane tanks are made of steel, also cut open for recycling. The recyclers are obviously ansy about accepting tanks that may have fuel inside them, so by cutting them open you can let them quickly tell that they're safe. There is a safety issue here of course, be careful when cutting them as, well, you can ignite the contents with you in close proximity. (recycler employees won't be cutting tanks open)

Thread resurrection . . .

I shop at a local hardware store (Ace) whenever I can precisely because of the issue raised in the earlier posts in this thread about the giant box stores.

Now my question - is there no place to send these O2 canisters to be recycled or re-used? I'm skeptical that if I just put it in with my village's recycling that it will actually get recycled, but what do I know? I see outside92129's post above about cutting them open, but I don't have the tools to do so and wouldn't in any case for the safety issue he raised.

the O2 canisters are aluminum so they're quite soft, try hitting it with a hammer and then just putting it in with the household recycle. A metal recycling place will definitely take it. Because it was O2 it's not going to be dangerous to cut - it's just air, no fuel.

the O2 canisters are aluminum so they're quite soft, try hitting it with a hammer and then just putting it in with the household recycle. A metal recycling place will definitely take it. Because it was O2 it's not going to be dangerous to cut - it's just air, no fuel.

Thanks!

guess i'm behind the 8 ball.....i shoot by wort up with O2 at 1/2-3/4 valve opening for only 30-40 seconds..........:eek:

yet when i use a starter usually i have activity with in 15 minutes!

wonder what the advantage would be to have a 5 lb O2 bottle?
i've heard that local fire stations will fill them for free...at least my neighbor who was a diver said F.D. filled his tamks as long as they were current.

maybe worth the investment on a used bottle for those who use copious amounts of O2.

GD:mug:

That's not completely true. Pure O2 is an oxidizer and will increase the temperature of a flame and can be lit on fire. There is a reason why people on medical oxygen are told to stay away from open flames like gas stoves. They don't make oxy-acetelyne welding torches for nothing!

I wouldn't cut into the container unless you are sure that it is completely empty and even then I would be very careful.

yesterday i finally got to do a properly controlled experiment to confirm for my own little nerdy self the DO levels from shaking vs. injecting pure O2. purchased 20 cubic foot O2 cylinder from local welding supply, it's roughly the same size as a 5 lb CO2 cylinder. also purchased regulator, you cannot use a CO2 regulator on O2 tanks. DO meter was borrowed from my assistant brewer who works for a company that sells safety equipment and lab supplies, incl DO meters, he confirmed for me that the meter had been calibrated at their shop two days before.

10 gallon batch cooled to 68F pitch temp, OG of 1.066, split into two buckets. for first bucket*, i did my old standard down-on-one-knee bucket sloshing with frequent burping until blowoff hole in lid was no longer visibly pulling a suction between burps. probably sloshed at good clip for four minutes? then removed lid and tested with meter, reading showed 7.97 ppm of DO. this jibed remarkably well with what i had read, that the theoretical max for agitation-method is about 8ppm. (someday i'd like to build a mechanical agitator and give it like 30 minutes and see how much higher it goes.) for second bucket i used pure oxygen. previously i had played around with the airstone submerged in bucket of sani water to get a sense of what would be a good psi to see on the regulator. i decided on 13.5 psi. with the airstone sunk to bottom of the ferm bucket, i turned on gas and timed for two minutes. DO meter read just over 8ppm. i gave it another 60 seconds and it read 12.20 ppm. the literature i've seen mostly converges on 10 ppm as a good minimum DO for ale worts. too much O2 is, i think, only really a concern for packaging breweries who don't want any lingering O2 in the bottles to cause staling and stability issues. i'm a pub brewer so i don't care if i'm a bit above 10ppm.

* sloshing bucket (the first tested) was actually the second filled. evap rate from boil was higher than expected so i ended up with probably only 4 gal in the sloshing bucket, which is an important here to the DO test conducted because you can slosh the liquid a heck of a lot better when it's only 3/4 full than when it's almost completely full.

next step will be to add my flow meter to the oxy tank rig. i picked up a cheapo thorpe tube style flow meter from welder supply for @ $15. with this i will have a quantitative sense of how much oxygen by volume i'm actually using in those 3 minutes. if it's crazy high, like 1/4 of the tank or whatever, i'll experiment with using lower psi for longer time.

another test i'd like to conduct is the aquarium pump method. this is attractive since air is free. only downside is having to come back and remove aeration after an hour or two or however long it happens to take. also, i'd probably want to rig up some type of filtration for air, so that's further assembly time. but i have a friend with a degree in microbiology and he's pretty confident that for brewing purposes, i could use a pretty simple filtration method, like an inline pvc pipe filled with cotton balls that i've spritzed with alcohol.

pic of 2-micron airstone used:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/carb-stone-2-micron.html

mechanical agitators are used in the waste water plants to raise DO in the effluent. also blowers are used which force air thru large diffusers much like the oxygen stone is used in homebrewing. all those bugs used to breakdown the poop need oxygen too...LOL!
the splash & tumble method is used by water treatment plants to remove hydrogen sulfide as well as helping to add oxygen to the water.

as a home brewer i used the shake and pitch method for many years with great results only because i was cheap.

eventually evolving to Y. starters & oxygen diffusion revealed that with the heightened DO from diffusion the yeast showed almost immediate signs of fermentation.

appreciated your results from your DO tests.......thanx

gizmodog51 said:
i've heard that local fire stations will fill them for free...at least my neighbor who was a diver said F.D. filled his tamks as long as they were current.

maybe worth the investment on a used bottle for those who use copious amounts of O2.

I doubt it. Firefighters use compressed air, not bottled O2.

worxman02 said:
That's not completely true. Pure O2 is an oxidizer and will increase the temperature of a flame and can be lit on fire. There is a reason why people on medical oxygen are told to stay away from open flames like gas stoves. They don't make oxy-acetelyne welding torches for nothing!

I wouldn't cut into the container unless you are sure that it is completely empty and even then I would be very careful.

Close. O2 will not burn on its own. A gas stove is not dangerous to a med O2 user unless its leaking or there are other flammables present. It's better to err on the side of caution though. Gas stove lit + O2 + say, fingernail polish remover being used in the same room could make a boom.

Cutting an disposable O2 tank with a hacksaw is almost completely foolproof, just don't do it if you smell a gas leak or just filled your lawnmower and reek of gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmodog51

GD

I doubt it. Firefighters use compressed air, not bottled O2.

you are SO right! what was I think of????:confused:

Clarification: CO2 is sold in pounds, but O2 is sold in cubic feet. this is because CO2 liquifies in the bottle, but O2 does not. now, in the big bulk tanks that the distributor uses to store O2, it *does* liquify. but not in the tank sizes sold to the end consumer.

so actually you won't see "five pound oxygen tanks" anywhere. i believe the confusion arises from the fact that a 20cf O2 tank is roughly the size of a 5 lb CO2 tank.

Can anyone tell me how many batches you get out of the small oxygen tanks from HD?

Funny story.. I used one last night for the first time and my wort was bubbling like crazy, huge, giant bubbles. I didn't think it looked right, but what the hell. Turns out the stone wasn't tightly threaded and oxygen must have been pouring out the threads. Used the whole tank in 90 seconds! :tank:

Can anyone tell me how many batches you get out of the small oxygen tanks from HD?

Funny story.. I used one last night for the first time and my wort was bubbling like crazy, huge, giant bubbles. I didn't think it looked right, but what the hell. Turns out the stone wasn't tightly threaded and oxygen must have been pouring out the threads. Used the whole tank in 90 seconds! :tank:

When I first got my set up I didn't think the disposable tanks would last long but that was over a year ago and I'm still on my first tank. I've probably done 15 or so batches since then.

I ran through an O2 tank from Home Depot a few months ago and had to replace it. I believe I got around 18 ~ 20 batches out of it. If you run out sooner (say 12 batches or less) you are opening the valve too much or leaving it on too long.

I ran through an O2 tank from Home Depot a few months ago and had to replace it. I believe I got around 18 ~ 20 batches out of it. If you run out sooner (say 12 batches or less) you are opening the valve too much or leaving it on too long.

Sounds good, thanks. How far do you turn the valve?.. and how long? I think I read 60 seconds for most beers and 90 seconds for high OG.

Sounds good, thanks. How far do you turn the valve?.. and how long? I think I read 60 seconds for most beers and 90 seconds for high OG.

I've started doing 2 minutes for all my beers. I turn it enough to see bubbles on top, but not so much that the wort starts foaming out the top of the fermentor.

I'm still on my first red tank, 12 or so batches of use. If you see the wort churn, it is up too high. Put another way, any bubbles that reach the surface aren't doing the wort any good

librewer said:

This is my experience too. I get a nice stream from the stone, not a gusher. Aerate 60-90 seconds.

What do you mean by this... are they not selling them anymore?

Hard to find sometimes and most Home Depots (which were once a source) no longer carries them.... well at least in my area. Just providing some fresh intel

My Lowes still has O2 cans afaik and I feel like HD does as well. I hope so. I scored a big O2 tank and regulator the other day. I get to put my mini torch back together again for the last time and I'll still need the little cans for it.

out junk shopping i came across two of those O2 bottles mounted on a cart that people use with breathing problems.
one had the regulator the other didn''t. both mounted on carts.
i balked from buying them...only $15.00 for the regulated one less for the plain bottle.
i figured they could only be filled at a medical gas company and anything connected with health care is over the top on price.
anyone have back ground on this set up and know where if a gas shop will fill them?

GD51

I've checked on the price for exchanging a real O2 cylinder - about $40-$60 depending on source and size. The little red guys from HD are about $10. Northern Virginia prices.

Too bad Bernzamatic stopped selling the "bigger" small red tank (was $12 for 2.1 liters vs $10 for 1.4 liters).

I don't know if my wand (2 micron stone) is partially blocked up but I have to turn the valve up a bit to get the flow going. I tried soaking it in Straight-A for a day.

I throw them in the trash.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Anyone happen to have an update on recycling the "disposable" red cans? Consensus still to smack them with a hammer and put them in your home recycling bin?

Why would you smack them with a hammer?

Back