Anyone use the 13 gal cube AHS fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 4 of the brew cubes . If you think it is going to be too heavy just carry it downstairs in 5 gallon bucket's and then pour it in the cube .

I love them they are easy to clean and wont break.

Thought about using those, but 2 corny kegs have more advantages then 1 plastic container. Eventually I moved up to a 15 gallon keg (on a dolly).

I use 15 gallon glass demijohns all the time, but I usually get someone to help with lifting it.

I don't use one of the brew cubes but I have the same type of container for pet food. I just checked the one we use for cat food (5ish gallon size) and there's no way I'd count on the handles for a whole lot more weight than what's in there. They're little more than a recess with nowhere to really grip. These containers were designed for dry goods storage - not liquid storage.

Besides, you're probably better off carrying from the bottom anyways...

I don't use one of the brew cubes but I have the same type of container for pet food. I just checked the one we use for cat food (5ish gallon size) and there's no way I'd count on the handles for a whole lot more weight than what's in there. They're little more than a recess with nowhere to really grip. These containers were designed for dry goods storage - not liquid storage.

Besides, you're probably better off carrying from the bottom anyways...

+1

I could see a carboy strap working well with these though, or a similar system

I use one of these and love it!! There is no way that I would attempt going down stairs with it. I can barely get it into the fermentation fridge under my stairs.

Thought about using those, but 2 corny kegs have more advantages then 1 plastic container. Eventually I moved up to a 15 gallon keg (on a dolly).

+1 to this.....corny's rock :rockin: and are way underrated. Don't be like me and put the gas qd on the liquid post....:drunk: What a hard lesson to learn :(

Can you really use a plastic pet food container for brewing? No taste in the beer or oxidation problem? I think it would be cool to have a bunch of cubes or stackable cubes in my brew space.

Edit: by "pet food container" I of course mean the ones mentioned on the previous page.

Yes, you can use it for beer with no taste problems. As far as oxidation, it is plastic so it might not be 100% impermeable to oxygen if you leave beer in there for long term storage. I've brewed two batches in mine which I made from a vittles vault. I fermented for a week, then dry hopped for a week, cold crashed in the same container (inside a temperature controlled converted kegerator) then transferred to 5 gallons cornys to carbonate. The first batch was fantastic, we drank the 12 gallons that it made within 2 weeks (4th of July party) and the second batch is carbonating right now. the first batch was little cloudy, the second batch is crystal clear. I love the idea of brewing a 10 gallon batch and fermenting it in one container. I don't have the room for two 6 gllon buckets, but the vittles vault fits perfectly with room for a blow off container next to it.

Back