Anyone use Midwest's "Kit of the Month"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quikfeet509

Reaction score
Looking at the prices, the kits with the White Labs upgrade are still $10-15 cheaper than my LHBS. Has anyone subscribed to their kit of the month program, and if so, were you happy with the kits you received?

I kinda like the idea of having to brew something outside of the range of beers I typically consume.

Buehler?

benstein.jpg

I haven't tried the club but I bought a kit from them (Flat Tire Ale). I was really happy the results. It shipped fast, had everything I needed with some basic instructions, and seemed like very fresh high quality stuff.

I'm actually just getting ready to order another one...

Edit: Oh yeah, it turned out really tasty!

I've been interested, but I haven't had the chance to e-mail them asking about shipping costs (do the kits ship for the per-month price, is there extra shipping, or what) I might start in January just to ensure I have something to brew every month.

For me I don't get a whole lot of time to brew but when I do, I like it to be something I pick rather than someone else picks for me. If I had more time to brew then maybe.

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm too picky to brew someone else's recommendations. I don't have a problem picking out something for myself at least once a month.

I just signed up for it last week. I am curious if they add shipping every month. If shipping is included then it seems to be a pretty good deal.

I received the first kit last week- Big Ben Pale Ale. They did add the shipping to that order but it was the first one and I also had a few other items. Since the shipping cost was on checkout I expected to pay it. The bigger question is if they charge you for shipping every month because there is no notice of that when you order- also I would guess that shipping charges could vary depending on the beer kit for the month. I'll update next month.

Here's thier response:

Hi RedOctober - No, the shipping charges are not included in the KOM base price, but we do average out shipping charges so that the price is the same each month - usually between $8 and $10. We bill on the 21st of each month and usually ship the last Monday of the month. Although this link is a bit tough to read, it does give a run down of the kits we ship. Hope it helps!

Cheers!

David
Midwest Supplies
3440 Belt Line Blvd
St. Louis Park, MN 55416
888-449-2739
952-925-9867 (fax)
Home wine making supply and home brew supply available on-line at Midwest Homebrewing Supplies. Search for wine recipes and beer recipes
[email protected]

I signed up for this today. I like the fact that I will always have something coming out. Shipping cost are a drag but it is still cheaper then my LHBS so I am happy. I told them to make sure I got AG but I will probably call tomorrow to verify. I'd expect they would allow people the choice, though with the way it is set up it doesn't appear that they would have a way to track which customer wants AG and which wants EX or PM.

I just got off the phone with midwest supplies. They say they do not offer the kit-of-the-month club in all-grain. I canceled my order. A little bit of a bummer I was liking the idea.

Back