Anyone use 2 pots for boiling wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
I currently shopping for a brew pot for extract brewing (see link)... but I saw that some of you are using 2 smaller pots, instead of only a big one, for boiling. I suppose the recipe is split in half, but is it a challenge to manage two wort at the same time? (Steeping, Timing, Cooling..) Anyone suggest this method and why do you like it?

I did this a few times. It worked out just fine for the three batches I did this way. For me, it was a temporary solution (I already had the two big pots and wanted to do full volume boils) until I acquired a keg and built a keggle.

I found the two pot method to work well, and yes it was as simple as dividing the recipe by two. Since my stove only has one high-power burner, though, I had to wait a few extra minutes for the second pot to come to a full boil. Once they're both boiling, then I would add the bittering hops, and timing the following additions was easy after that. I cooled the pots in the bathtub. Same principle as the sink, but with more ice and cold water. Cooling was the only real hassle of the process.

I've done it a few times - as frolick says - one thing to add is timing - it gets pretty exciting when both pots come to a boil at once.

Timing is everything.

One thing is that AHS's recipes are meant for partial boil - if you want to be PERFECT you have to decrease the hops but . . . . I did not notice any difference.

HOWEVER - I can say my brew was better then partial boils and you can do real IPAs this way.

I've started doing a mash for 10+ gallons of wort, but then doing two five gallon boils and two five gallon primaries. I am fortunate to be able to boil two pots with 6+ gallons at the same time on my gas range. I like it so far because I can either make two five gallon batches of the same beer, or depending on my grain bill I might mix it up and make five gallons of something strong and five gallons of something weaker.

I start boiling 3 gallons in my 7.5 gal pot and boil additions of 1 gallon at a time in a 6qt pot. This serves two purposes: 1. It allows my stove to get all the wort boiling and 2. More wort is boiled off, which allows me to fit an all-grain batch in my small(ish) pot. While it might work for you to have two smaller pots, I would suggest having at least one pot large enough to do a full boil in a single pot. It will be simpler and more reliable, and will be useful as you progress. A 30qt (7.5 gal) pot is about right for 5-gallon batches.

thanks for the replies! well.. I plan to brew next week-end, so lookslike I'll go for the 7.5 gallon aluminium pot. It's 55$ after "rebates" (CanadianTire money if you're in Canada). That's the best offer till now and I'm kind of in a hurry:mug:.

I start boiling 3 gallons in my 7.5 gal pot and boil additions of 1 gallon at a time in a 6qt pot.
I'll probably do that, I'll try it next week end.

When it gets too cold to brew outside and we are forced to brew inside, it's always with two pots on the stove-top. In order to get the best utilization of hops due to the split boil, take the first runnings and put that on heat. Then do two sparges and use those runnings for hop additions. It's thinner (lower gravity) so the hop oils can be better utilized. But still, throw a couple pellets/leaves in the first runnings with each addition... I don't know if that makes a big difference but it's just what I do!

some of the extract kits i have seen tell you to do the entire boil with 2.5gal and once it is finished to add the remaining 2.5gal of water before pitching the yeast. so what i have been doing lately is doing my boil with 3gal of water. then i boil 2gal in another pot and add it before i pitch. one thing i do though is boil my 2gal of water first and cool it down before i add it, that way it will bring down the temp of my wort instantly when i add them together. this shortens the time it takes to cool down my wort a lot because i do not have a wort chiller and have to rely on ice baths.

I have bought a all grain kit at my lhbs, should make about 40 pints.

I have three pots at approximately 3 gallon each. Cant get a boil with two at a time. Is this doable as my first AG attempt, or will i have to wait until next payscheck and by the 8-10 gallon pot?

Also thinking of a mashing tun made out of a fermenter and sleeping bags. XP anyone??

I do something similar, when I'm sparging I take the first two gallons of runnings and put them on the stove and heat them while I finish my sparge, however I'm careful not to bring it to a boil. Since my boil kettle is only a little over 8 gallons I hate carrying it that full outside. When I'm on my outside burner I add the (now almost boiling) 2 gallons from the inside. This plus Fermcap helps me do my full boils in a smaller pot. No problems and I get to full boil much faster this way.

Latest posts

Back