Anyone use 1214 Belgian Abby I yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AjhW

Reaction score
I used BeerSmith2 to create a Belgian Blond style beer. I used a washed yeast strain Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abby. It came out really jucy fruity tasting. Is this typical for the Belgian Abby yeast. My fermintation temps were 68F. + or - a few degrees. The original beer I used this yeast on was a holiday spiced porter and it didn't taste really fruity.

Yes, the flavor you are experiencing is pretty normal. Most Belgian yeast strains are know for this to one degree or another. I will say that your fermentation temp was kind of low for the flavors to that predominant though. I usually ferment mine at 70-72 to get more of that Belgian funk.

Most likely the darker Porter style grist masked some of those flavors in your original beer. Blondes don't really have much to cover it up or mellow it out.

I just fermented a blonde with 1214. Everything I read said keep it lower than the recommended range or it will be a banana bomb. I started at 62 and brought it up to 65. The banana was pretty dominant at first. Now after a couple of weeks, the banana has faded and is creating a nice balance with the spice. My only issue was that it attenuated like crazy... 90% down to 1.006. so it has a little less body than I was going for and will take a little more time to condition at 7.2% abv, but otherwise a really nice flavor profile. In any event, your banana will fade some so if it's too much for you right now, give it a month.

Back