Anyone use 05 for a stout with good results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeStrandsBrewing

Reaction score
Hey, now -

I've got a slurry of 05 yeast that I was thinking of using for an Oatmeal Stout recipe. I've used 05 for several pale ales and IPA's with great, clean results. Would it work out OK for a stout?

Im chuckling at the massive amount of people I'm anticipating will say a resounding YES. US-05 makes great american style stouts from imperial to sweet to oatmeal and everything in between

absolutely. gives a nice clean fermentation, great for a stout. for a bit more fruit-estery/malt-focused you can go with an english yeast, but you can't go wrong with 05, and it's easy to use.

I've used it for dark strong beers that where pretty stout if that is what you mean.

If I was trying to be authentic, I wouldn't use US-05. However, it's not real often that I am trying to be authentic. I'm usually dancing on some line between styles. I'm actually brewing a mega dark ale now using US-05. When my friends ask what it is, I'll tell them its a stout, sorta. It's a smoked imperial russian american style ale with appalachian accents!

LHBS Stout kit all grain came with 05. I didn't really care for it that much. That is probably why we started drinking it the second day it was bottled. It is almost gone and I have two more Stout grain mixes laying on the table along with two packs of 05. This is my favorite beer to brew so far.

I used -04 on my RIS but the recipe actually said to use -05 as an substitute for the wyeast. I have also used -05 successfully on a couple oatmeal stouts in the past! Can't go wrong

" It's a smoked imperial russian american style ale with appalachian accents!" --- I like the sound of that! :)

Thanks for all the great feedback! Have never done it, so glad to hear others have done it with good results

Cheers!

Can I jump on with a similar question as the answers to this thread has me asking it.?...I have a porter kit that came with s33, but also a batch of american wheat fermenting with 05....what should I do? Dry S33 or reuse the 05?

My very first brew was an extract kit for a dry Irish stout, using US-05 . . . it was delicious. I say if you can salvage it properly, then go for it!

Can I jump on with a similar question as the answers to this thread has me asking it.?...I have a porter kit that came with s33, but also a batch of american wheat fermenting with 05....what should I do? Dry S33 or reuse the 05?

S33 is supposedly for Belgian styles, seems an odd choice for a porter. Unless that's what you were expecting I'd go 05.

Thanks! you guys saved me - I'll pitch onto some of the 05-cake/slurry. I guess it's a good thing I haven't found the time to get this porter started :mug:

I've never made a stout with US-05, but I tend to agree with the others here and think it would make a nice stout. Mid-60s seems to be the sweet spot for ferm temps with 05, as some people have found the yeast to throw some fruity flavors if fermented cooler.

I've never made a stout with US-05, but I tend to agree with the others here and think it would make a nice stout. Mid-60s seems to be the sweet spot for ferm temps with 05, as some people have found the yeast to throw some fruity flavors if fermented cooler.

I'm fermenting my latest pale with US-05 at about 58-60F just for that purpose.

Interesting. "Peachy Pale Ale."

I accidentally did that with US-05 in a pilsner SMaSH that I let ferment too cool. It wasn't bad. It had a sort of winey, Kolsch-like taste.

I used all my leftover hops. Centennial, Willamette, Nugget, Chinook... I think it will go good with the combination of hops.

I so simply love US-05. Ferment it below 64F and it produces this nice fruity flavor. Ferment around 75-78F and you get some interesting esters, nothing unpleasant, and you get very high attenuation. Between 65-75F and you get a very good clean beer everytime.

I use it for all of my barleywines. I usually do a fermentation at around 68-69F for the first week and then start slowly warming it up to 75F for the next two weeks. I always get attenuation above 80% this way and a remarkably good barleywine everytime.

I'm also a big fan of S-04 as well. It is the most neutral English style yeast I know of. Best of all, these dry yeasts are easy to store for long periods of time and cheaper than the liquid alternatives. It makes them an easy choice as my preferred yeasts.

I used all my leftover hops. Centennial, Willamette, Nugget, Chinook... I think it will go good with the combination of hops.

That actually sounds pretty good. A little sweetness to balance those big hops.

You could call it...Leftoverture. :cross:

cover_221222122009.jpg

S33 is for Porters and Belgian styles, it brings up a smoky flavor that compliments porters. a very different beer will be made than if s05 was used.

to the OP, i'v brewed a few stouts, mostly oatmeal stouts. it's all about the malts so yeast is not as important as other styles. I've gotten a very clean stouts out of S05 at 68degs. I would suspect though you may get a more "authentic" flavor if you use British Ale yeast.

S33 is for Porters and Belgian styles, it brings up a smoky flavor that compliments porters. a very different beer will be made than if s05 was used.

to the OP, i'v brewed a few stouts, mostly oatmeal stouts. it's all about the malts so yeast is not as important as other styles. I've gotten a very clean stouts out of S05 at 68degs. I would suspect though you may get a more "authentic" flavor if you use British Ale yeast.

Oyy.....now what do I do? I'm brewing it now... Thinking you said this and it came with the kit so what the hey....may just stick with it.

Latest posts

Back