Anyone try 10 gallon no sparge batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
Thinking trying to male a 10 gallon no sparge batch to save some time. Its been tough finding time to brew these days

I have a dedicated herms vessel and a 120qt cooler mash tun. My thoughts are putting all water in mash tun the night before and setting a timer so water is heated up ready for brewing in the morning. Looking around 30 pounds of grain and 15 gallon pre boil efficiency around 70% do you think 70% is possible

When I do a 5 gallon I drop my efficiency 5 points for planning. So if I do 10 gallon batch sparge I plan 73, 5 gallon no sparge 68. Seems to work fairly well for me. One issue is adjusting the water changes around a bit with such a thin mash, so plan ahead for that in the event you need baking soda or something like I did.

I am currently planning to move to 10gallon no sparge exclusively in the spring. Two young kids, ft job and being in grad school really impact the available hours.

I just did a no sparge on a big (1.079) 5 gallon batch with 17 pounds of grain with 75% efficiency. Just stirred a lot, used bru'n water for chemistry, and mashed for 90 minutes. I also crushed at .025. I do a bag-enhanced traditional mash because bags are easier to clean than digging 17 pounds of grain out of my 20gal Infussion mash tun.

I hit my target numbers for the 75% efficiency and even got a little more wort than expected. Give it a shot.

Just remember with that much water and grain you won’t lose much temperature so be careful what temp your strike water is when adding grain

70% mash efficiency is totally doable with 30 lbs of grain and a 15 gal pre-boil volume for no-sparge. You do need to hit 90% conversion efficiency, which shouldn't be a stretch if your crush is good. For an 11 gal post boil volume, that should yield an OG of 1.049 - 1.050. Your mash volume will be about 25 gal, which should fit comfortably in your 30 gal MLT.

Brew on :mug:

Back