Anyone tried Great Lakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSUmoney83

Reaction score
In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scot
I live in the midwest region and just recently I've had a chance to sample some of the Great Lakes brewery beers from Cleveland, OH. I had the burning river pale ale, and IMO, it blows sierra out of the water. I've also seen good reviews of their Edmund Fitzgerald porter. If anyone has tried some of their beer and can recommend some of their other styles, please share.

it's all good. :) we used to get carried outta the brewery on carts when i lived in cleveland and was old enough to get served. ;)

the edmund fitz porter is top shelf, imo, so is their ESB. i haven't had their wheat beers though.

now the burning river is a spin off on the cuyhoga river, which back in the 70's was so polluted with steel mill run off, that it actually caught fire, well the slicks of chemicals on the surface of the river did... makes for some mighty fine brewing liquor too..... :D

t1master said:
it's all good. :) we used to get carried outta the brewery on carts when i lived in cleveland and was old enough to get served. ;)

the edmund fitz porter is top shelf, imo, so is their ESB. i haven't had their wheat beers though.

now the burning river is a spin off on the cuyhoga river, which back in the 70's was so polluted with steel mill run off, that it actually caught fire, well the slicks of chemicals on the surface of the river did... makes for some mighty fine brewing liquor too..... :D

Funny you mention that, I grew up near the Maumee river, which went up in flames as well. Real clean... I'll have to grab some of that porter.
I'm pretty sure with my new found love of Great Lakes brews that I wouldn't be walking out of there on my own two feet I f I were to visit :D

I love GLB's beers. Their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is one of my favorites - it may be my favorite porter of all American micros. Their Christmas Ale is great, when you can find it. Pricey, but very tasty.

I took a class in Maumee. What was that? Is that where the Hummer plant is? Or was it Eaton Hydraulics?

Any way, I've been to both places. Oh, yeah, one's in South Bend. That's right. Now which one?

Not important....just drunken ramblings....:drunk:

Dude said:
I can't stand the Winter Ale (seasonal?). I think it tastes like how dog food smells.

Maybe I had a bad bottle but it was nasty.
Had to have been. It rotates pretty quickly in busier shops, but I've seen it on the shelves in late Summer - not good.

The Conway's is good, too. Their Dortmunder Gold is an excellent example of the style. I plan to try thier Blackout Stout (a Russian Imp.) and I'd like to try their Commodore Perry IPA, but I haven't found it anywhere!

Only one I have tried is the porter. The first bottle I had I thought it sucked horribly but then while reading the bottle I found out I was drinking ti WAY too cold, lke 33 degrees. When I tried it at their suggested temp it was great. Odd how a few degrees can make such a big difference

Biermann said:
My favorite Great Lakes is their Conway's Irish Ale. Does anyone know of a reliable recipe for this??

I would have to agree, although their Porter is a close second. And I would also love a recipe if any one has one (extract/speciality grains)

Still looking for a Great Lakes Clone of any kind. I just had their Burning River Pale ale, and it didn't let me down by any means. . . If anyone has a link to ANY Great Lakes clones, let me know!!:mug:

the blackout stout will do just that.... good stuff if you've a taste for the imperial stout... let it warm up abit is a good rule with almost all their beers...

i've got one several recipies i can post by mark richmond. he was a head brewer down at great lakes int he 90's, not sure if he's still there now though. if you get the brewmasters bible, you'll find four or five all grain recipies by great lakes brewers in there, real real close to the stuff they sell.

Back