Anyone tested grainfathers water profile calculator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudgey

Reaction score
The water profile calculator (beta) in the GF app seems excellent. Its remarkably quick and simple to use, well integrated and I REALLY want it to be THE ONE. But my mash numbers are randomly high by half a unit give or take a quarter. Most likely my issues not the apps (my ph unit, water supply variations from the source thats profiled etc).

Have other people used this app? How does it compare to other calculators out there for ease and prediction accuracy in your opinions?

I have used it and found it to be unreliable right now. Once it calculated 3x as much salts I actually needed. Clicked the Calculate button again without changing anything and the numbers changed to something more reasonable. An uneasy feeling for someone like me who is just learning about salt additions. I also found it not updating when changing either the source and/or target water profile. Another bug is the calculator uses oz. for the unit but ea. when adding the salts to your recipe.

I would prefer to use it since it would be a one-stop-shop when brewing on my Grainfather. However, right now I'm double checking the numbers using Brewfather.

I contacted GF support and they have corrected the water profile calculator. It now updates when switching between source and target profiles and when changing the balance option.

I contacted GF support and they have corrected the water profile calculator.
I actually initially noticed both these issues myself and it made me less than confident and exactly that - uneasy; didn't think to contact gf, it's not happened lately and I'd not thought about why, so thanks!
Will try brewing with rain water rather than our creek intake and see if its more on point.

Back