Anyone taste their beer before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckrox8

Reaction score
I bottled a Belgian Hefe tonight and was filling the last of my bottles when I ran out of brew to put into the last bottle. It smelled really good with a combination of nuts and a slight banana scent. I swigged some and just swished it around my mouth for a few seconds before spitting it out. Having not been conditioned or carbonated the beer actually left a really good taste in my mouth. Does anyone ever taste their beer, kind of like wine tasting I suppose, before the bottling/kegging stage?

Absolutely, I think most of us do. It gives you an idea of how the beer is developing, and if you take hydro samples, why waste good beer? Sometimes the beer is so good, I taste it more often than I need to.

Edit: Missed the part about spitting it out, you should swallow man. In this situation it's OK.

Chuckrox8 said:
I swigged some and just swished it around my mouth for a few seconds before spitting it out.

Spit it out?!! Are you crazy!?? :D
Yeah, I definitely have a few tastes before I bottle.

If you EVER talk about spitting beer out again I will petition the mods to ban you!!!! :D But umm yes, I think just about all of us taste the beer at bottling time.

its scientific fact that spitting out green beer will make you sterile, blind, and gives you hairy palms!

green beer is safe to drink, just flat and not at peak flavor. don't fear the beer!

I always taste the brew. Even when I do my readings I dont put the test sample back I drink it. When I bottle I always end up with a 1/4 or 1/2 a bottle so dont waste it drink it

Mmm.. green beer

The only danger to drinking such young beer is that you may lose faith that it will be good - since beer @ bottling time won't usually taste excellent like it will after at least a few weeks in the bottle.

Hell,

I drink the sample the day I brew it! You should see all the crap floating in it then. I just like to see how there is a huge contrast between sweet and bitter, then compare when it is mature.

I got tanked the first time I made Apfelwein, "tasting" it as I bottled it.. it's how i quickly learned how dangerous apfelwein can be :D

i taste everything in the brewing process. chew the grains, munch the hops, i taste everything!!!! and dont spit that out! i drink it before i primary, before i secondary, before i keg. you can taste it as it matures.

I taste it...but I don't judge it...or panic about it...I know it's gonna be green til it conditions in the bottle...but having said that, I am ofter surprised how good it tastes. I just took a hydro reading on my amber which has been sitting in primary for 2 weeks...and drank it and was so surprised how close to what I want my finished project to taste like.

Everything must be sampled at every step of the way. If not you will ruin your beer! :D

I enjoy sampling along the way during each batch to see how it's progressing.

i also sample grains, hops, extract, wort, etc. every sample i take tells me how the beer is coming along. man, i can't WAIT until my blood ale is ready. that tasted so good at every stage. it's carbing in the keg at room temp right now, i need to finish my kegerator so i can fit both my kegs in there :)

Back