Anyone seen this in there carboy? (w/pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdbrewer

Reaction score
So I have never seen this before. I'm not worried though, it's just yeasties. Just wondering if anyone else has seen something similar.

It's an Oktoberfest lager with Wyeast #2308. Been at 52 degrees for 2 weeks now.

beer.jpg

Is it green like I'm seeing it? This would lead me to believe... algae!

Gotta say, this one looks suspicious to me.

M_C

I would doubt it's algae, at least any of the common kinds (e.g. something like the kind you get in aquariums), as they thrive by sunlight. He's got it in a fridge.

Maybe there are some chemotropic algae that can grow in wort though...

Is it green like I'm seeing it? This would lead me to believe... algae!

Gotta say, this one looks suspicious to me.

M_C

It's not green, it's sort of the same color as the yeast cake. I'll take some better pics when I get home from work. That pic is from my phone.

It didn't bother me at first, but after reading the comments I'm getting worried! :confused:

Krausen fell and drifted to the warmer side of the carboy? I don't know if that's at all possible, just a guess.

I did an oktoberfest yeast from White Labs earlier this year and it def clung to the sides quite a bit more then I'm used to. I had a glass carboy and it was pretty coated, maybe not to that extent but I thought it was odd at the time. It took 2nd place in the European Amber Lager at the Oregon State fair so I guess it turned out pretty good!

Krausen fell and drifted to the warmer side of the carboy? I don't know if that's at all possible, just a guess.

I think that's exactly what it is. I spun it around just now and the other side looks perfectly normal.

Did you use Whirlfloc? Mine does some interesting clumping in the beginning but usually it starts to look more normal as the yeast get going. Never done a lager with it before, so I'm not sure how it would look.

yeast gets goofy... looks like clinging yeast to me. i've seen it look like icebergs, rafts, balls, dust, etc.... i have a lambic in a glass carboy that looks like has been infected with jellyfish right now.

It's not green, it's sort of the same color as the yeast cake. I'll take some better pics when I get home from work. That pic is from my phone.

It didn't bother me at first, but after reading the comments I'm getting worried! :confused:

Then it's probably fine. The green color I'm seeing is very odd, that's why I said that. if it's tan/light-brown, then it's the yeast being attracted to one side. Could be static electricity, too.

MC_

Back