Anyone recognize this growth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sativen

Reaction score
Just about to transfer a beer and noticed this growth on top. Anyone recognize it? I've asked several of my sour brewing friends and they're all baffled.

This isn't a microscope, just a straight shot from my phone.

Thanks.
Steve

20160210_162543.jpg

Definitely a pellicle of some sort. Looks like some lacto pictures I've seen.

the one time I had a ramen noodle pellicle it was from soup that was left on the stove, open overnight

I should have added, it smells and tastes fine. It's been sitting in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks.

Those are fantastic with some oxtail broth, rare steak, bean sprouts, thai basil, bit of lime, and a touch of hoisin and sriracha.

I'm going to take it to a brewery with a lab. This batch was supposed to go in a barrel, so I'm not risking anything.

Well, it's definitely infected, and the bacteria are in your beer. The pellicle was grown by them to prevent air (oxygen) and other competitors from intruding. It only forms in the presence of oxygen (air). Large headspace in a secondary possibly?

I'd say it's lactobacillus.

It is definitely infected. Ther is no way to tell what it is without a microscope and a degree in microbiology.

It is definitely infected. Ther is no way to tell what it is without a microscope and a degree in microbiology.

I don't have one, but thankfully I have know the right people.
Turn out it's Pichia membranifaciens. Rare enough, but apparently present in that beer. And as of a week ago, present in the city sewer.

Latest posts

Back