anyone not record on the fly recipes that turn out great

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephrdr

Reaction score
hi, Im enjoying a batch of oatmeal porter/stout that I threw together, from the engredients I had on hand. I was sure id remember the engredients but low and behold a month later im going did I or didn't I add roasted barley to this batch? ive brewed this way a lot in the past, ahh lets add this.. im going to record new recipes better now though because this is one of the best beers ive made in 10 years...

Yup, random "kitchen sink" beers always turn out great. At the LHBS, a few times a month they end up with mystery grain bags that customers forget or just ditch for whatever reason. Same with steeping/partial mash bags. Every now and then i grab one and go for it. Kinda fun not knowing what you have going in. I do weigh it to figure out my water, but other then that, grab the boil gravity and SG and see what happens

We did a batch like that earlier this year. There was a mystery batch of grains at the LHBS and decided to give it a whirl. As luck would have it, the beer turned out great and all I know is that it was 14 pounds of grain. i did cheat and used a Belgian yeast on it which turned out to make a great beer that cannot ever be repeated.

I did about 5 kits before a buddy sent me an old bag of pre hopped muntons. I tossed it and 3 0z of hops, one at 60/40/20 during the boil. My goal was to make an IPA. The water was RO with no additives and the beer came out as my best ever. I am pretty sure at least one oz of Centennials went in there but that is all I know.

Yeah, and I hope that I can make lightning strike twice. Or thrice. Or however often lightning has to strike to make my beer not taste like plastic you-know-what. I have a long brew week planned, except that it's not likely to happen.

Latest posts

Back