Anyone know if this could be of any use in homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
Found this by the side of the road. Not sure if the pump works, Havent plugged it in but it looks like it pulls liguid from the bottom of the kettle where there is a small mixing blade/fan and then shoves it back in though a port on the side near the bottom. Could be junk, but it looked like brewing equipment and I think I could reuse the casters if nothing else.

This is what it is... Absolute Auction & Realty

This is a pic of the one I picked up.
mixer.jpg

That's a chemical mixer. I suppose you might be able to make a mash tun out of it, if you could be confident that you can get rid of all of whatever residue might be in it.

That would be my concern with it....whatever it was used for, hopefully it wasn't terrible. I don't know how you'd go about effectively cleaning that so that it's food safe.

It is stainless steel I think you should be able to clean it and repassivate.

I'd probably not trust the pump even if it worked or the hose or the existing valve. Think it would make a pretty nice eBIAB rig.

Chemical mixer? No thanks, gross. Now, it does look like a nice chunk of stainless for free, I'd be off to the scrapyard.

I wouldn't use the hose with anything I would eat or drink.
If it cleaned up real well I would use it, depending on what is in it now.
Notice the auction listing is from a restaurant?
I wouldn't freak out about the "chemical mixer" name.
Ethanol is a chemical after all.

:D

While I like to see home brewers always wondering "how can I use that to make beer?!" I am also too often freaked out by the more....<cough>...less than obviously sanitary histories behind some ideas.

Hard pass on this one. Unless one needs a floor wax stripper...

Cheers!

Oh no, we wouldn't want to run chemicals like caustic, or acid, or anything of that nature through our equipment, and then brew beer on it that we plan to consume!!! The horror! (*tongue firmly in cheek*)

Clean it up, replace consumable parts (tubing, seals, etc) and get a brewery specific pump. Brew beer.

Or, sell it (for use or scrap) and use money on purpose built equipment.

I gotta go with "no" just because there are too many seals/places I would not be sure I could clean. The seal around the mixer on the bottom. Any valve. Etc. Just too unknown. Sorry to harsh the vibe.

For once, I'm in a balanced mood, considering time of week, so hear goes; {;

If one had limited funds, and enough time & patience to go though it and disassemble, replace seals, etc (heck, I do this when I commission a new used C keg), it could be used in brewing. The stainless parts will be OK with a good cleaning.

That said, it looks like it would take more parts and effort than the cost of a keggle & modifying oneself. Also, without seeing the inside, hard to tell if it would be practical to clean. The plastic pump & exterior pictured hoses would have to be replaced, presumably with something better.

Some equipment is very hard to clean and some chemicals really get into the pores, nooks and crannies.

Reminds me of working on a gas tank once. Impossible to completely clean out. Anyway, proceed with caution and don’t be afraid to toss!!!

Back