Anyone know about muzzleloaders?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblvsn

Reaction score
Been looking at buying a muzzleloader for deer hunting and just plain ol shooting. I don't want to spend a ton of money but want something of good quality. Any advice on makes/models to stay away from? Features to look for?

Are you looking to go flintlock or inline? This can greatly effect which make and model question.

Inlines are super convenient by comparison to flintlock rifles.

If you into the traditional aspects of muzzleloading and adding a degree of difficulty to your hunt, then a flintlock rifle can be a lot of fun.

I shoot PRB (patched round ball) in period correct fur trade era rifles. I only have percussion cap type sidelocks in slow twist barrels, so not much of what I want in a muzzleloade is what you're looking for. No substitute, BP only. I mould my own ammo. Muzzleloaders are great fun!

That said, like most things in life, you're going to get what you pay for, and something from Cabelas for under $199 probably ain't going to be an optimum setup right out of the box. If you're serious about hunting and really want to extend your season then I advise hitting a ML'er dedicated hunting forum and seeing what the most successful hunters are shooting.

I also haven't been shopping for a new frontstuffer in a while, so I really don't know what's out there at the moment, but Thompson Center used to be considered a decent blackpowder rifle. Some of the Knight Ind. rifles seemes to be pretty well respected too.

Jester's Red shoots muzzleloaders too, maybe she's got some advice for you.

Good luck and keep your powder dry!

Inlines are nice and most of my friends shoot them but I'm a flinter. In PA, a flinter gives me two season to hunt instead of one.

Do you have a price range?
As ma2brew said, you get what you pay for.

I think this is a nice deal.
Cabela's -- CVA Laminated Kodiak Pro 209 Magnum Thumbhole Rifle with Starter Kit and Scope

I don't know if you have seen this but a buddy of mine just bought the Remington Genesis and it looks really nice. I haven't shot it so that will be the true test.

Cabela's -- Remington Genesis™ Rifle with Scope and Starter Kit - Stainless/Laminate

You can't go wrong with a Knight, even their cheapest model will be a good quality muzzle loader.

I would suggest asking around to find a used gun store in a rural area, they sometimes have racks and racks of rifles (including replica side-percussion muzzle loaders). I've been to one where the prices hadn't changed for years. Very good deals to be had.

I have a CVA Optima Pro Magnum. It's fun to shoot. Get a break action. super easy to load and clean. less to take apart for cleaning. Get one with a starter kit.

Keep in mind that you'll be luck to get more then 3 shoots out before you have to swab it to clean out the fouling and you will have to do a full cleaning (not a really big deal) after your finished for the day. Also get a ball or "T" handle for the ram rod. helps force the slug in after a shot or two.

I would suggest asking around to find a used gun store in a rural area, they sometimes have racks and racks of rifles (including replica side-percussion muzzle loaders). I've been to one where the prices hadn't changed for years. Very good deals to be had.

Big +1 on this!
Definitely check out the used rack at the shops in your area.
Give the bore a good inspection though, as it's very important to clean a BP rifle after a day out shooting with it, and dirty bores quickly lead to corroded bores. That ain't good.

I got a real nice .54 cal Hawken used for $150 at a pawn shop that was easily worth twice that, but it's a left hand lock so the shop was having a hard time finding a home for it. I was really happy to take it off their hands.

I'll run over and check out the gun shops tonight or tomorrow. Mainly been looking at Traditions and CVA for price but that Remington looks pretty nice as well.

I got a real nice .54 cal Hawken used for $150 at a pawn shop that was easily worth twice that, but it's a left hand lock so the shop was having a hard time finding a home for it. I was really happy to take it off their hands.

Thats what I have, only its not a lefty. I'd love to have another one.

I have a thompson omega and love it. I bought the black synthetic with stainless and a scope. I live in a shotgun only area and when I got the ML 3 years ago I stopped using a shotgun. I had to play around with powder and bullets a little and settled on two 50 grain 777 pellets and a 250 grain shockwave. With a good slug shotgun I was happy with 6 inch groups at 100 yards. With my ML I can shoot under 3 inches at 100 all day long. I am very confident out to 150. I practice at the range out to 190 and it still groups great off a bench. I might step up to 3 pellets (150 grains) this year to see how that works. There is nothing like waiting for the smoke to clear after taking a shot in the woods.

With my ML I can shoot under 3 inches at 100 all day long. I am very confident out to 150. I practice at the range out to 190 and it still groups great off a bench. There is nothing like waiting for the smoke to clear after taking a shot in the woods.

Gee thanks for making me want to leave work early to go shopping now. :mug:

I would try to find a ML that is easy to clean. Thats the only part I don't like. On mine I have to unscrew the breachplug to clean it. On some they break open and the breachplug turns out with like a half turn. I'm not sure those are better or easier though. Don't get discouraged if you get bad groups at first, I had to test several different loads until I found the one my gun liked. I was originally afraid of only having one shot but I have found that one shot is all it has ever taken. I still hunt or hunt from treestands and I never shoot at running deer. Once you smell that gunpowder after the first shot you will be hooked. Now I'm getting excited.

Just got this one ( Bighorn .50 Cal, Stainless and Black ) tonight. Haven't had a chance to take it out and shoot it yet, going to give it a test run after work tomorrow afternoon. I got a couple coyotes out at the farm that need killin', and that will be good practice for the black powder season that starts a week before the regular deer season this fall.

See those deer in my forum picture gallery ? I got even more than that out there this year, including one huge 12 point - probably the biggest buck I've ever seen in Alabama and I been living here since 1976.

Back