Anyone Here Use a Straight Razor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a few days on my Merkur HD (DE safety razor) now and I love it! That first shave was a little dicey and I'm glad I bought a styptic pencil with it. :D

I bought a sample pack of blades but it will take me a while to get through them all and see which I like best.

I'm on shave 4 or 5 with my Merkur HD as well. Currently using Merkur blades, but I got some bumps today, so I went ahead and ordered the sampler pack of blades today so that I can try some other blades in it to see how my face likes those. I'm definitely getting MUCH smoother shaves with the DE than with the M3 I used to use!

I bought a cheap Tweezerman badger brush to start with, but I'll definitely be upgrading that at some point, as it is pretty stiff/scratchy.

I go through about three disposable razors or blades a year by using an advanced shaving technique known as "GROW A D**N BEARD." I do use a hair clipper to keep it even once in a while, and occasionally shave part of the neck when it gets to looking like trouble. Honestly, embracing the beard is the true secret to saving on shaving! I am a geologist so you know I am right.

I'm on shave 4 or 5 with my Merkur HD as well. Currently using Merkur blades, but I got some bumps today, so I went ahead and ordered the sampler pack of blades today so that I can try some other blades in it to see how my face likes those. I'm definitely getting MUCH smoother shaves with the DE than with the M3 I used to use!

I bought a cheap Tweezerman badger brush to start with, but I'll definitely be upgrading that at some point, as it is pretty stiff/scratchy.
I started with the blade that came with mine as well. No complaints so far but I'm looking forward to trying the other blades that came in the sampler. I wish I had a badger brush, the only one I could find locally was a boar brush, it works pretty well but it's definitely not very soft and takes a while to generate a good lather with it. I definitely plan to upgrade my brush.

Cheap boar bristle brush here too. I find I can build lather really quickly with a boar brush if I 'cook' the brush in nearly boiling water while I'm in the shower. It might take a bit longer than using a fine badger brush.

It also really helps to build the lather in a separate vessel than where the soap is. Really whip the brush to get the bristles loaded (high glycerin soaps work wonders) and then continue whipping in a prewarmed vessel with a little water in the bottom.

I've been using the Tweezerman badger for about two years now, and it will get softer. At some point I'll upgrade, but I'm in no hurry. It's a great brush for the price (I think I paid around $11 shipped for it), and it's so much better than the cheap boar brushes you find in drug stores.

I read this tutorial and it's got me making my best lather so far.

Good link! Similar to what I do, but I don't drain the brush nearly as well, and I usually just work up the lather in my cupped hand. I'll have to try it just like that page said, as I don't get such a "canned" looking lather as that guy does.

I've been using the Tweezerman badger for about two years now, and it will get softer.

Good to know!

The soap that I got when I bought my Merkur is just a puck of soap. When you load your brush with this type of soap, do you have it in some type of container? I just plunked mine into a coffee mug and made lather there, but it looks like I should start making lather in another vessel.

Good to know!

The soap that I got when I bought my Merkur is just a puck of soap. When you load your brush with this type of soap, do you have it in some type of container? I just plunked mine into a coffee mug and made lather there, but it looks like I should start making lather in another vessel.
From what I've seen with those you can just make the lather on your face. Just make sure your face is wet, load up the brush and go to town.

Last time I brought up this subject, I was booed out of the room.

I am a pretty active member over at Badger and Blade. The same username. I haven't posted in a while, but I've been wet shaving for 2 years now. Its so surprising how much smoother a shave is with a DE, good soap and a brush.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me, or just ask here. B&B is a great site to get started too. If anyone is interested, I have a PDF of an 8 page booklet I printed in my Commercial Printing class. It was done for B&B and gives the lowdown on the basics of wet shaving.

Good to know!

I use cream, not soap, but I think it should work the same. I put the cream on the wet brush and build the later directly on my face.

Yeah, great, thanks guys. Now I have a 70 Super Speed, a 60's fat boy and a 50's superspeed. Oh yeah, and about 5 different blades and soaps to try. I hate you guys. Oh great, and I'm a member of yet another message board. Edcculus, you know how much crap I get for being on a SHAVING board!

I guess I mean thanks guys, I now love wet shaving!!

Yeah, great, thanks guys. Now I have a 70 Super Speed, a 60's fat boy and a 50's superspeed. Oh yeah, and about 5 different blades and soaps to try. I hate you guys. Oh great, and I'm a member of yet another message board. Edcculus, you know how much crap I get for being on a SHAVING board!

I guess I mean thanks guys, I now love wet shaving!!

Its more addicting than homebrewing!

ah great, now there is something else for me to get addicted to...

At least I missed the bidding wars with all you guys trying to get fat boys :)

Just bought a new Parker (I know comma once I hit the place bid button I wanted to take it back). I tried it this morning and I has to say I really find this to be apealing to me. I will be on the look out for a Murker or older Gillette on the bay soon. BTW I hate you all.:cross:

I have actually purchased 3 razors since this thread started, the main reason I had to buy 3 razors is that within 2 months my first one started to go a little dull. And I just can't seem to keep them super sharp using just the strop. Apparently I need to buy some ultra fine honing stones to go along with my set so I can hone these things back to their singing edge. Any good spot to buy the stones, or do you guys reccommend sending these guys out to a professional.

Oh and by the way by far the best shave i have ever had and I get multiple complements on it very frequently.

Speaking of prices. I purchased my first razors in 1970 from a retiring barber.

309 BOSS Solingen German Silver Steel $3.50
Boss309Razor.jpg

TRUSTEEL Razor Barely Used $2.50
TRUSTEELRazor.jpg

I have never sharpened and used the TRUSTEEL. Just kept it as a spare in case I ever needed it. I have only used the 309 BOSS.

I've been loving my DE razor and I'm almost through all the sample blades I bought (the Merkur Super Platinum blades seem to like my face best).

This thread re-awakening has reminded me that the DE was only going to be a first step. I think it's far enough from Christmas time to get myself a little present without feeling guilty. :D

So I just got my hands on a fully re-conditioned vintage 1950's straight razor, 5/8", Ivory handles, beveled edge, honed and stropped, shave ready. I am a little apprehensive about taking this thing to my face, and decided that I should really strop it myself just to be sure before I put it to my face. So I ordered a strop off of the internet and it should be here before the end of the week.

Does anyone here use a straight razor? Any advice for someone who has never used one before? I have been doing a lot of reading on the internet and watching youtube videos about how to properly use a straight razor, so I think I should have it down, but if anyone has first had advice to give me, please offer it up.

The straight razor thing is a continuation of me getting a badger brush to make shaving cream thing I started a few months ago. If I keep going, down this road shaving is going to take me 30 minutes instead of 5.

Try practicing on a peach, or a balloon, or your arm.

I have actually purchased 3 razors since this thread started, the main reason I had to buy 3 razors is that within 2 months my first one started to go a little dull. And I just can't seem to keep them super sharp using just the strop. Apparently I need to buy some ultra fine honing stones to go along with my set so I can hone these things back to their singing edge. Any good spot to buy the stones, or do you guys reccommend sending these guys out to a professional.

Oh and by the way by far the best shave i have ever had and I get multiple complements on it very frequently.

Try Lehman's: Lehman's - Products for Simple, Self-sufficient Living
Not spamming, just answering a question with what I hope is useful info. Regards, GF.

First thing I did when I got my cut-throat is send it to Lynn Abrams (Straight Razor Designs) for a proper honing; cost about $25. This gave me the best 'baseline' for what a shave-ready blade feels like on the face; an inexpensive barber's hone keeps things in good shape.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread since I finally got my first straight razor today. I found one at the smoke and gift shop at the mall of all places. They actually had a cabinet with a ton of wet shaving stuff in it. After yapping with the owner for a few minutes I found out they rarely sell the straight razors so he gave me 10% off, not too bad! I ended up paying only $105 CAD for it. It's not shave ready but from what I understand, none of them are.

I want to do my own honing but I'll need to wait a bit to get the required stones. In the meantime I'm trying to find someone in Canada who does professional honing. I also need to track down a strop. They had one at the shop but it was almost as much as the razor!

dovo.jpg

Well done on getting a quality razor. I got my first Solingen steel razor in 1970 and am still using it.

As to professional honing, I would look on this forum - Straight Razor Place

As to strop, I think the best buy is an Illinois #827 "Russian Leather" strop. I paid about $49.00 US dollars. Several places sell them and they all seem to charge the same. Razor Strops, Hones, and Accessories

As to honing stones, the best basic setup is a Norton 4000/8000 combination stone. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51817&cat=1,43072,43071&ap=1

You will need to lap any new stone. Don't let anyone say otherwise, unless of course you want to spend really big bucks.

I used a professional honing service for the first 15 years or so and only started honing my own when the service I was using went out of the business. Now there are many places to get them honed for $20.00 US and unless you have a lot of time and patience, that is the route I would go.

Well, I think it's time to drag this thread out from the basement once again.

I've been shaving with a nice 5/8 dovo prima klang since Christmas. Its becoming my hobby away from home while I travel for business. Please don't tell my neglected kegs that I've found another chunk of steel that's filling my free time.

I love it. I think the routine of shaving is just as crucial as the hardware and the technique. Here's mine so far (constantly evolving)

Warm up some water to pour over my shave soap, soak my brush and warm the scuttle.
Shower, condition whiskers with hair conditioner.
Turn on some brewing network podcast after toweling off.
Pour a little bit of the soap water into the scuttle along with some glycerin and a wee squeeze of shave cream. Froth up for the überlather!
Strop, Shave. I go with the grain, against the grain and touch up passes with fresh lather for each.
Cold water rinse, lemon witch hazel and bay rum splash
Sometimes balm and/or aloe depending on how I feel

My skin is clean, tight and smooth afterwards. Feels great, especially if it's cold and rainy outside. :cool:

lurking straightrazorplace.com helped evolve my routine as did shaving more often for practice and conditioning my skin. Every guy should be able to do this!

suffered with razor burn and irritation for years using carteridge razors. Looking more into DE razors and have decided to switch. Just need to muster up some funds. Looking at the Merkur 34c "HD". With shave soap and a brush, i'm probably looking at about 80 bucks once I'm said and done.

suffered with razor burn and irritation for years using carteridge razors. Looking more into DE razors and have decided to switch. Just need to muster up some funds. Looking at the Merkur 34c "HD". With shave soap and a brush, i'm probably looking at about 80 bucks once I'm said and done.

I'd love a DE for travel. Checking a bag due to my razor along with packing my strop is starting to irk me a bit. Interested to hear your impressions, keep us up to date!

Fwiw, here's a quick rundown on the cost of my equipment and software. Your needs may vary.

Badger brush, art of shaving- gifted but retails for $55
Dovo prima klang, strop and lifetime honing from straightrazordesigns.com- $140
castle forbes shave soap- $29
NW musk shave cream, $7
Glycerin, right aid, $5
Pinaud bay rum aftershave, $7
Thayers lemon witch hazel, $8
Fruit of the earth aloe, $5
Art of shaving balm, $? Swmbo's gift.
Williams mug soap (something of a backup, used it for strop conditioning)

I ended up buying the HD, Col. Conks almond shave soap, blades, and a boar brush. Want to make sure I like it before I drop bank on a badger hair brush.

Latest posts

Back