Anyone have tips to keep cats out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:mad: I finally prepared an area to get my rhizomes planted and this morning I look out and it's all dug up. I just replanted and want to get some ideas for keeping cats out. They are not my cats so I've been thinking about using shards of glass for mulch. Years ago I ran into this crap with my flower beds and gave up, but I just need these to be able to get established.

P.S. Just kidding about the glass I actually love animals, but I don't love people that feed feral cats! Give them a litter pan too and keep it clean because they're just crapping in everyone's flower beds and hop patches.

There are motion activated sprinklers available. Also a DIY project as I have seen some builds online. I had some pesky teenagers next door I was thinking about using it on.

• Tomato cage
  • Cat repellent pellets (Havahart Critter Ridder)
  • Plants strong herbs around it (this can help with pests too)

Plastic forks do work fairly well, but I've had the most luck keeping our cats...and chickens out of our garden beds by using welded wire. I cut it to size and it's easily bendable to elevate it slightly to make it _uncomfortable_ to get on for them. It's easily removed once you've got some good growth. I've even left it before depending on what I have planted there.

Thanks everyone, I was thinking of chicken wire, netting then I though those furry little mother fathers would like clawing it.... Electrified wire! :rockin: again, sort of kidding.

Motion activated sprinkler looks good and only about $15-20. And of course, you have to set up a camera to catch the hilarity.

Are you sure it's not squirrels?? We have a ton of squirrels that do the same thing.

Replant them, then tonight drink about 3 of your homebrews and go out and pee on them. Preferably after dark... ;)

:mug:

I fenced off each crown. Keeps animals from digging and deer from trying young bines.

I've been pondering staking nylon net on top of the flower beds. It should be scratchy enough a cat won't dig. It also is coarse enough to let through light and water.

Are you sure it's not squirrels?? We have a ton of squirrels that do the same thing.

Replant them, then tonight drink about 3 of your homebrews and go out and pee on them. Preferably after dark... ;)

:mug:

I very rarely see squirrels in my neighborhood (like once in a blue moon) I don't think the critters doing the digging are going to stay still while I pee on them, though.;) I got some 23 gage wire fabric to apply once it stops raining. Will go to the dollar store and get some forks too.

Back