Anyone have a recipe that taste like Corona?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
So a friend of mine has just been diagnosed with celiac. His go to beer was always Corona and my homebrew heff :) . Anyone know of a solid gluten free recipe similar to the taste of corona?

Corona is like American lagers, with pretty low barley content, so just try sorghum...
Just need enzymes for all the adjuncts.

I read that Corona is supposed to be "gluten free" in that the gluten count is below 20ppm. I wouldn't touch it but for what it is worth...

+1 ^

I've read that as well. Apparently there's so little barley in Corona that it technically qualifies as gluten free as is. But, as has been discussed on here before, if you're very sensitive, you could still have a reaction to that.

You should be able to make a lager. While I've done a full sorghum lager, I'd probably go with something that had more corn and rice syrups in it.
I had made a lager that was over half rice syrup, (55%), part sorghum syrup (38%) and a bit of honey (7%) with saaz which turned out great as a pilsner style lager. If I were to do Corona, I'd probably leave out the honey, or even go a 33/33/33 with corn, rice and sorghum.

Yeah, I got a recipe: three drops of yellow #5 food dye in a bottle of seltzer water! :mug:

No but seriously, I'd do rice extract, corn sugar, and maybe a hint of sorghum, plus a small single (early) addition of maybe magnum hops. I can give you more detail if you like, but seriously--keep it real simple. The reason Corona survives in clear glass is because the hop additions are negligible, so a tiny addition of clean-bittering high-alpha hops would probably be best.

Back