Anyone have a Bier De Mars Clone Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice of them to give all the details

ABV - 6.2%
IBU - 22
Calories - 195
Hops - Target, Willamette, Cascade
Malts - Pale, C-80, Aromatic, Oats, Wheat, Carapils
OG - 14.9
TG - 2.9

Brettanomyces, a wild yeast strain, added for bottle-conditioning creates a refreshingly sour flash across the palate.

Maybe:

77% pale
10% Wheat malt
5% Flaked oats
5% C80
3% Aromatic
Enough to get you to 1.060 OG.

Mash ~155 F for 60 minutes.

90 minute boil with Target to bitter and small additions of Willamette and Cascade in the last 10 minutes of the boil, aim for ~22 IBUs.

Something like Kolsch yeast would be nice in primary with the Brett B pitched into the secondary. I was under the impression that all of the Lips of Faith beers were flash pasteurized, but if it was conditioned with Brett you can just add the dregs from a bottle or two to get their Brett in your beer (try sending them an email). Age the beer for a few months until you get your desired funk character, then bottle (assuming the gravity is stable).

Hope that helps, good luck.

Thanks, I'm just working on my second brew right now so I think this might be a little over my head. I don't know if I'm ready to try using Bret just yet. I'm going to save the recipe and try this once I have a few more batches under my belt.

Thanks for the help!

You could try it without the Brett, it won't be the same, but you might still really like it.

I think it would still be tasty without the Brett - refreshing, anyway. IIRC, the Brett flavor in this beer is very restrained. I think I'm going to try a small batch of something like this and just use the dregs from a couple of bottles. I like the sound of the kolsch/german yeast for primary fermentation, too.

On second thought, I might split 5 gallons and use saison yeast in the other half. The ingredients may be a little out of style, but it seems like the yeast character would complement them well.

Don't forget the lemon peel and lemon verbena.

Back