Anyone fermented a Flanders Ales (Red or Brown) at higher temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RITiger41

Reaction score
Has anyone fermented a Flanders ale (Red or Brown) at higher temperature for a quicker turnaround? I read in Wild Brews under the fermentation schedule for the given Flanders Red recipe, the beer could be fermented in the secondary at “80’F for 8 weeks” versus “cellar temperatures up to 3 years.”

I recognize the beer would become sourer with an increase in lacto production at higher temps, and lack complexity found in well-aged beers.

I’m new to brewing sours and looking for some advice/shared experiences. I currently have 8.75 gallons of an Oud Bruin style ale fermenting cleanly in the primary right now; 5.5 gallons with S-05 and 3.25 gallons with WLP500 Trappist. I’m undecided whether to blend eithers beers before pitching the WY#3763 Roeselare Blend, and also fermenting at higher temps as noted above. I do plan to add tart cherry when appropriate.

I appreciate your advice and shared experiences in advance. Thanks.

In my opinion, never rush a sour beer. That being said, you can rush it and end up with a "sour" beer, but I think it will lack some complexity from my personal experience... the richness is lost.

I am going to be doing this soon, just not by choice.
I am hoping to high heaven that it comes out at least ok

My house stays at 70f. It's not cold enough to be cellar temps but it's so hot that it speeds up bacterial action to where fermentation is finished in 8 wks. My first sour has been sitting for 4 months now. I haven't taken a sample to see where it's at.

So,how do you know that it's done?
I am not trying to be an arse, but "fermentation" and becterial action may be two very different things.
You have to try and tell us how it is coming along.
I mean,in the name of science and for the unselfish benefit of others, you are honour bound to taste that sour.

It's done when you say it's done. Generally speaking, you're looking at 12-18 months for the beer to "clean up", meaning the Brett has eaten most everything it can. However, if you taste it at a particular point and love it, then bottle or keg some. I have NEVER regretted letting a beer sit longer in a fermenter. They always get better. Granted, I've never gone longer than 2 years, so can't say what would happen then.

Last night I blended the two beers (s-05 and WLP 500) with equal ratios to achieve a SG 1.022 across both. So I have two carboys; 2.5 gallons (3 gallons BB) and 6 gallons (6 gallon BB). I have one packet of WY#3763 Roeselare Blend, and plan to acquire one packet each of WY#5335 Lacto and WY#5733 Peddio.

I’ve decided to pitch the Roeselare Blend to the 2.5 gallons, and slowly ramp up to higher fermentation temperatures, and hold at 80’F for several weeks.

The 6 gallons will be inoculated with the Lacto and Peddio smack packs, and fermented at ambient basement temperatures (63’F to low 70’s) for a couple years. I could not find a pitching schedule and what amounts of each to add. Based on Wild Brews I’ll pitch them together and cross my fingers.

Any suggestions with blending Lacto and Peddio, and pitching schedule?

I'll take a sample next time I mix up some star san. I promised myself no tasting till six months. It's taken some will power to make it 4 month.

I’ve decided to pitch the Roeselare Blend to the 2.5 gallons, and slowly ramp up to higher fermentation temperatures, and hold at 80’F for several weeks.

I'm interested in seeing how this works out for you.

Back