anyone else thinking about NHC already?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
I recently brewed for the first time in about 4 months and caught the bug again. I was looking at the AHA website for competitions and unfortunately found that all of my local ones are basically done for the year.

I did notice NHC up on the calendar which got me thinking about entering this year. I know it is probably too early to brew most styles, but I think planning this far ahead will let me actually brew enough beer to max out my entries this year.

Anyone know when they are going to post more information or the deadline to enter?

Anyone else going to enter/know what they want to brew yet? I have a few ideas depending on the limit they impose this year.

Anyone know when they are going to post more information or the deadline to enter?

Nope, I'm waiting for celebrities like Miley Cyrus, Barbara Streisand and Jon Stewart to move to Canada like they promised, before I make any plans for NHC.

I did happen to notice that they were putting stuff up already the other day, and that did get me thinking about it a bit. They have most of the regionals listed along with their judging dates.... That stuff is usually not up this early.
https://www.homebrewersassociation....homebrew-competition/competition-information/

I am actually brewing a couple low gravity lagers tomorrow to propagate some yeast .... I will harvest that yeast to brew some of my NHC lagers in a few weeks.

I did happen to notice that they were putting stuff up already the other day, and that did get me thinking about it a bit. They have most of the regionals listed along with their judging dates.... That stuff is usually not up this early.
https://www.homebrewersassociation....homebrew-competition/competition-information/

I am actually brewing a couple low gravity lagers tomorrow to propagate some yeast .... I will harvest that yeast to brew some of my NHC lagers in a few weeks.

I saw all that too which will help with the planning. I'm thinking about brewing a lager for the first time to enter to get some feedback about it. What low abv ones are you about to brew? Any general suggestions about lagers?

Or low abv even haha. I brewed my first mild the other day and I like it but have nothing to compare it to. It's a little thin but very tasty. Got the recipe out of brewing classic styles.

I am stepping up a pilsner yeast..... so, just doing a 1.045 type pilsner with that. And, I have a blend of a couple lager yeasts (German Lager X and Munich Lager II)..... going to brew a 1.045 type Helles with that. Then, I will likely brew 3-4 lagers in December-January to pick from for NHC.

To be honest, I would never send a beer in to NHC for "feedback." The feedback is ok.... but you can get much more thorough feedback in other competitions for half the price. NHC uses the check box score sheets, and the focus seems to be more on moving the best beers through than it is on giving detailed feedback.

I always start out with a recipe from Brewing Classic Styles or here: http://www.alternativecommutepueblo.com/2011/10/ahanhc-gold-medal-winning-recipes-for.html

Then I adjust from there.

I think now would be the time to brew a lager. I'm doing a vienna next week to possibly enter.

Chicago, listed as TBD, is supposed to happen the same weekend as Denver FWIW. April 21.
Wish it wasn't same weekend as GLINTCAP but whatever.

I've been preparing mead for NHC for months. Cider is ready to go. Beer will get worked on next month. As always picking entries will be a battle.

good luck to everyone...
cheers--
--Michael

I need to up my level to the point where I have beers to pick from. I guess it isn't like the old days where you could enter tons of them, but I always find myself needing to brew for competitions, not having beer already ready.

Latest posts

Back