Anyone else not a fan of the milkshake IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a documentary series on Netflix called Chef's Table, in one episode they go to a Michelin star restaurant in Mexico City, I think you'd like it a lot. The head chef talks about all the different components of what goes into an amazing taco, the textures, the flavors, things that are different temperatures. Also, the science of a great Mole' sauce, which I am just starting to really get into.

***Cilantro needs to be properly washed, otherwise it tastes like dirt***
Olvera's book is amazing, highly recommended if you're interested in cooking Mexican food. His food is incredible, he also has a restaurant in NYC that I've been wanting to check out for a while.

Chef's Table is an awesome show. It went downhill after the first episode, which is still a favorite. And that old dude in Argentina cooking **** in the snow with the 20 something girlfriend.
That old dude (Francis Mallmann) is a G, marching to the beat of his own drum, avoiding family life half the time "to preserve passion", and lighting fires in the woods of Patagonia.

Chef's Table is an awesome show. It went downhill after the first episode, which is still a favorite. And that old dude in Argentina cooking **** in the snow with the 20 something girlfriend.
That old dude (Francis Mallmann) is a G, marching to the beat of his own drum, avoiding family life half the time "to preserve passion", and lighting fires in the woods of Patagonia.

I really like the Magnus Nilsson episode, that guy is in the middle of nowhere, just doing his thing. Also, he looks like 70% of the guys at a beer share.

Worry not, its just a phase that will soon pass.

"lol"-pastry stouts

The restaurant is called Pujol, and the chef is Enrique Olvera. Dude loves tequilas a lot, makes you want to eat tacos and drink tequila afterwards. My wife is really getting into ramen lately, and there's another episode in Chef's Table about a chef named Ivan Orkin, white dude who went to Japan and made a dent in the ramen scene (not easy to do), anyway I went to his new ramen shop in NYC for our anniversary and he had 3 Hill Farmstead beers on tap and a ton of sours, guy loves HF apparently.

The cinematography in Chef's Table is excellent. A great use of your 4k tvs.

I honestly can't believe these Milkshake IPAs ever took off in the first place. Stouts or barleywines loaded with adjuncts, I can understand, but hoppy beers? The ones I've had have been horrendous. The flavor and bitterness of hops clash with those sweet adjuncts 95% of the time, in my opinion.
It makes you wonder what kind of monstrosity brewers will churn out next. I shudder to think what could be on the horizon...

I honestly can't believe these Milkshake IPAs ever took off in the first place. Stouts or barleywines loaded with adjuncts, I can understand, but hoppy beers? The ones I've had have been horrendous. The flavor and bitterness of hops clash with those sweet adjuncts 95% of the time, in my opinion.
It makes you wonder what kind of monstrosity brewers will churn out next. I shudder to think what could be on the horizon...
Beers that taste like soups. Tired Hands - New England Clam Chowder IPA - a hazy New England IPA with clams, lactose, and flour. Dreamt up with our friends at Panera.

Yeah, haha, mole is amazing, 1 cup is like 1,500 calories though.

The pastry stout of Latin American cooking.

I know the USDA comes up with that number but what the hell? I've made several moles and there's no way there's 1500 calories in one cup. Maybe that's true for the canned stuff you buy at the store that's just chocolate and salt.

The pastry stout of Latin American cooking.

I know the USDA comes up with that number but what the hell? I've made several moles and there's no way there's 1500 calories in one cup. Maybe that's true for the canned stuff you buy at the store that's just chocolate and salt.

Yeah, I've read a bunch of recipes and I'm guessing the high calorie number comes from adding chocolate and lard at different stages. Theoretically the peppers and spices should be a small amount of calories. My next project is learning how to make a kickass empanadas.

Yeah, I've read a bunch of recipes and I'm guessing the high calorie number comes from adding chocolate and lard at different stages. Theoretically the peppers and spices should be a small amount of calories. My next project is learning how to make a kickass empanadas.
I love how this discussion went from milkshake IPAs to Latin American food. If you speak Spanish this channel has some pretty kick-ass empanada recipes, this one in particular is my favorite:

Mexican chocolate is not sweetened or high in fat so it shouldn't be that much. I guess if you add a lot of fat and sugar then it gets bad in a hurry. That should only be in a mole poblano and even then I wouldn't consider that a great recipe.

I love how this discussion went from milkshake IPAs to Latin American food. If you speak Spanish this channel has some pretty kick-ass empanada recipes, this one in particular is my favorite:

Didn't cellarmaker or tired hands make a taco IPA?

TacoHands (the TH/Cellarmaker taco IPA) was ****ing awesome. I had it at Cellarmaker a few years ago and it was one of my favorite beers there.

My next project is learning how to make a kickass empanadas.

I like this shift in convo.

Come over and we'll drink non-milkshake IPA / bang out empanadas from all countries: with Goya discos, from scratch dough, and masarepa. All fillings including the super traditional ;) Taylor ham/pork roll, egg, and cheese.

How convenient too, that you are a half hour-ish away.

Srs.

I like this shift in convo.

Come over and we'll drink non-milkshake IPA / bang out empanadas from all countries: with Goya discos, from scratch dough, and masarepa. All fillings including the super traditional ;) Taylor ham/pork roll, egg, and cheese.

How convenient too, that you are a half hour-ish away.

Srs.
I want to hold a big share at Jersey City Taqueria if they'll let us.

Watched both episodes of Chefs Table, with Oilvera and Mallmann. Enjoyed Olivera, but I enjoyed Mallmann more on Parts Unknown, with Bourdain. Overall, S1:E5 Quebec of Parts Unknown rules them all.
Dude!!!! Quebec is my favorite episode of that entire show by far, I've probably watched it like 5-6 times. Really wanna go to that restaurant L'Affaire est Ketchup!

Back