anyone else have a squeeling pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamming

Reaction score
MY brand new march pump squealing like a pig, unless there is water "load" on it. figured out that the wobble on the shaft making the noise, thought maybe it was the end play, Really annoying ! Its the bronze housing one so called top of the line unit ! Thinking about returning it. Anyone else experience this ? Love the magnetic pump idea so i can fly sparge by reducing flow and it wont hurt the pump, but man its loud when it squeals at the end of pumping and gotta run and shut it off.

Not running it dry, as pumps go magnetic pumps should be able to run dry all day ! its right at the end of pumping or sparging ! Just wondering if i got a bad one ! I have a inline valve for resistence sparging !

I stand corrected, your right this pump should not be run dry. But its technically not dry, just not under load, squeals like a pig ! Guess i will just have to watch water levels really close !

This is not substantiated by fact.
Not only that, it's specifically stated in the March Pump Installation Instructions:

Installation Instructions said:
—CAUTION—
2. Do not run pump without liquid. Be sure liquid is in the pump. If pump is run dry , excessive heat will occur
damaging internal parts and could result in operator injury.

Magnetic pumps can run with their output closed all day, but the pump head must be flooded with liquid or they will asplode.

-Joe

I had the same problem, and did a little research. If the pump is having a hard time pulling liquid, it will squeal (and ultimately damage the pump). The input needs to be unconstricted, and the output where the load is. I don't understand why yet, but if you're constraining the input at all, you should fix that problem.

Its quiet until the liquid is done out of my liq tank, I only restrict it on the output side. My directions say don't run dry, but it should say don't run without a liquid load or a full pump housing. It's wet and squeals like a hooker at a vibrator convention. :D

Back