Anyone do an earthbox?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This year I added more earthboxes of hops. My second year hops aren't really thriving all that well, so it's a little hard to gauge the success of this venture. I am not sure what exactly is going on with them (well, except one that got eaten by bugs), but I am wondering if they are just slow growers compared to my first year.

My first year cascade and zeus are going gangbusters. A few of them have reached the top of the second story of my house and are still growing. They all have lots of cones on them also.

IMG_00181.JPG

IMG_00192.JPG

Built me a box and waiting for another clone to take off my Cascade to swap for the one in my AP system. I can't wait, and man what a good idea these boxes are.

Will do. I am still having a nitrogen problem in my AP setup (imagine that), so I may be moving one of the AP cuttings into the box earlier than I thought. Maybe it should hold more than one cutting? I dunno?

let us know how they work out for you!

Jonnio

I am growing hops in "earthbox" like planters as well. I struggle with the soil at my house here in Los Angeles, so this year for my vegetable garden I bought 2 EarthBox's for tomatoes and have been BLOWN AWAY at the difference they make. I had planted 3 cascade rhizomes in the ground, but two of them died off and one of them had stunted growth. Towards late may I decided to purchase new rhizomes and plant them in home made sub irrigation planters modeled after EarthBox's just like you have done above.

My results so far have been just as fantastic as the tomato results. The cascade plant is around 5 feet tall right now, and my mt. hood is around 3 feet tall.

To make my sub irrigation buckets i just used two 5 gallon home depot buckets (trying to keep within budget here) and a solo cup I drilled around 30 1/4" holes in as my wicking container. I have yet to place a plastic cover on top of the buckets, and at this point i may never do that anyway.

I think they are working really well, and should work well for a few years.

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

How often did you have to water the planter over the offseason?

I am so tired of my hops' poor growth that I'm seriously considering building a raised bed. The bridge over the creek is being re-built, so I can get a pile of 12x12s free.

My soil is so bad that I have in-ground soil boxes (sort-of). For my hops I used the excavator to dig big holes/pots which I filled with composted cow maneur and leaf mold. Up front I made (hopefully) my excavation big enough to accommodate any and all growth of the hops. Placing them on a hillside and planting the rhizomes on hills helps prevent them from getting water logged. So far it seems to be working.

All of our garden areas are raised beds. Our soil is so poor that it is really the only way to get any production.

The PVC is the fill tube. It goes all the way to the bottom of the bucket. The plastic bags are for moisture retention, and to eliminate rain getting in. You want the water to wick up not go down. Gravity is already fighting against you, but the water wicks up perfectly without over-watering when you fill the PVC and reservoir.

gypsom and gypsite will always fix all your soil woes. depending on the need clay or loam. also turning the soil mixing in compost helps as well. takes a couple years but you can get the soil to the right spot pretty simple. start composting all your leaf and grass clippings as well as all your kitchen scraps from vegis.

Improving Clay Soils - Fine Gardening Article

i made a small one from an empty cat litter container. it has slightly tapered sides and is perfect for small plants. i have dwarf bananas in two of them now.
this might be good for first year growing or giving them a head start in the spring in northern climates.
litter bucket earthbox

any update on this hops in earthboxes bit? Im growing some this year and want to know what to expect from years 1 through 4

I got a really good yield out of them, but then started traveling too much and have abandoned hop growing. The key in future years will be soil testing and amending to make sure you keep the nutrient levels up, and lots of watering. As the plants get bigger and bigger they will start requiring more upkeep.

I was very pleased with the results of the experiment and will likely do it again once I am sure that I will be around to tend and harvest my crop.

thought I'd give a quick update on how my hops panned out in the first year of my earthbox growing hop garden.

From 12 plants, (1st year growing) I harvested 43lbs wet hops, 9.54lbs of dried hops. so average 3/4lb dried hops per plant.

I purposely trimmed most plants to only one bine so that may have limited harvest. one of the plants I left go to two bines and it produced twice the cones with no issues seen.

I'll keep posting updates, but in Vancouver, BC I am starting to get shoots coming up so the season has officially begun :)

Fuggles (2 vines) - 4.8 lbs wet - 18oz dry
Willamette (1 vine) - 2.4 lbs wet - 9.5 oz dry
Centennial (1 vine) - 2.4 lbs wet - 9 oz dry
Cascade (1 vine) - 4.8 lbs wet - 17 oz dry
Sterling (2 vines) - 9.5 lbs wet - 33 oz dry
Goldings (1 vine) - 3.5 lbs wet - 9.3 oz dry
Galena (1st vine)- 1.9 lbs wet - 6.4 oz dry
Mt Hood (1 vine) - 3.4 lbs wet - 10.7 oz dry
Galena (2nd vine) - 6.3 lbs wet - 23 oz dry
Chinook (1 vine) - 4.6 lbs wet - 16.7 oz dry

http://brewbot.ca/growing-hops-on-a-balcony.html

Back