Anyone brewed a good Alt lately?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonK331

Reaction score
There are some older posts on the subject but they are a bit outdated. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on the grain bill, even Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles don't really agree. I'm looking for something authentic.

I brewed the BCS recipe. It needed 2 months of lagering before I really liked it. Even then, there is still a subtle flavor in there I don't like and haven't figured out what it is yet. Other than that subtle flavor, it's a good recipe. I entered it into a competition and am still waiting for the score sheet to arrive to see what the judges thought. It was the first time I used phosphoric acid for pH adjustment so maybe that's what the flavor is.

There are some older posts on the subject but they are a bit outdated. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on the grain bill, even Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles don't really agree. I'm looking for something authentic.

Authentic what?

Zum Uerige is pils, caramunich II and carafa special (not sure which number). Some (well at least one as I recall) of the other altstadt beers have munich as part of the base. That's authentic and modern as obviously caramunich and carafa have not been around forever.

Nothing has changed substantially at any of the Dusseldorf pubs since this website has existed so there can't be any outdated information here on what authentic Dusseldorf atlbier is. Wrong information? Sure. Outdated? No.

I came up with this recipe back in April. I was inspired by an episode of Can You Brew It (Eight Mile Alt) and wanted to try one, but was put off by Jamil’s description of Spalt hops as “soapy.” I wound up creating a grain bill that was a cross between the Eight Mile Alt and the Dusseldorf Alt from BCS. I’m not gonna lie to you, its high on the IBUs, but I thought the bitterness was just right and I absolutely love the flavor that Czech Saaz adds to a beer. If you want to decrease the bitterness, drop the Nugget to 14 g at 60 min, but I wouldn’t mess with the Saaz or Tett. The important thing is to keep the fermentation temp at or below 60 F as best you can.
6 gal
7.75 lbs Weyermann Pilsner
2.75 lbs Weyermann Light Munich
10 oz Weyermann Dark Wheat
7 oz Briess Carapils
6 oz Caramunich
3 oz Weyermann De-Husked Carafa II
22 g Nugget, 13.7% AA at 60
28 g Czech Saaz, 2.8% AA at 20
28 g Tettnang, 4.5% AA at 15 min
Wyeast 1007
Mash at 152 F, ferment at 58-60 F.
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.012

Kai's recipe, enough said. Fantastic beer, one of the best i've ever made. He only does a 60 minute addition on the hops. 27ibu's

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Kaiser_Alt

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.87 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 16.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 88.27 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 10.38 %
2.0 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 1.35 %
2.00 oz Spalter [4.10 %] (60 min) Hops 29.3 IBU
1.00 oz Spalter [4.10 %] (20 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
1 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale

Authentic what?

Zum Uerige is pils, caramunich II and carafa special (not sure which number). Some (well at least one as I recall) of the other altstadt beers have munich as part of the base. That's authentic and modern as obviously caramunich and carafa have not been around forever.

Nothing has changed substantially at any of the Dusseldorf pubs since this website has existed so there can't be any outdated information here on what authentic Dusseldorf atlbier is. Wrong information? Sure. Outdated? No.

An authentic Alt. Not American and I'm trying to avoid crystal malt. According to Daniels, authentic German Alts don't have any. I was simply wondering if anyone familiar with the authentic Germans examples has brewed one lately and would be willing to share the recipe.

Kai's recipe, enough said. Fantastic beer, one of the best i've ever made. He only does a 60 minute addition on the hops. 27ibu's

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Kaiser_Alt

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.87 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 16.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
8 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 88.27 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 10.38 %
2.0 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 1.35 %
2.00 oz Spalter [4.10 %] (60 min) Hops 29.3 IBU
1.00 oz Spalter [4.10 %] (20 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
1 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale

That looks more like a Marzen with ale yeast than an Alt. Looks like a really tasty beer though.

Add another vote for Kaiser's recipe. Damn good beer... in fact, it's Friday, think I'm gonna crack one open now! :mug:

I can't say if it's "authentic", but Kai seems to be pretty well respected on here and his posts on German styles are thorough and extensive.

Oh, and for a commercial variety on the East Coast, Southampton makes an excellent altbier.

That looks more like a Marzen with ale yeast than an Alt. Looks like a really tasty beer though.

A quote from Kai's page. "I designed this recipe based on Guidelines for brewing Altbier from a German brewing text book. This is an Alt that is very much in line with the average German commercial Alt."

I recently brewed this up. A decoction is not necessary, but is traditional.

I loved this so much I have another batch lagering now.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.44 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 14.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %

Ingredients:
------------
6.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 55.3 %
5.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 42.6 %
0.25 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 2.1 %
1.00 oz Pearle [7.50%] (60 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
2.00 oz Tettnang [4.70%] (15 min) Hops 13.4 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Single
Total Grain Weight: 11.75 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 23.50 qt of water at 126.6 F 122.0 F 35 min
Saccharification Decoct 9.96 qt of mash and boil it 155.0 F 45 min
mash out dec Decoct 7.15 qt of mash and boil it 170.0 F 15 min
sparge Add 23.00 qt of water at 170.0 F 170.0 F 15 min

I did this one a couple of months ago. I used the California Lager yeast, so it's not a "real" Alt, but a hybrid nonetheless. Probably the best beer I've made:

5 gal
OG 1.052
IBU 40

5 lb pilsner malt
4 lb munich malt
2 lb vienna malt
1/4 lb chocolate malt

I did a decoction mash: 125 to 155

1.5 oz Perle 7.5%AA @ 60 min
1 oz Hallertau 3.8%AA @ 10 min

Fermented in the low 60's for three weeks, then lagered in the keg at 35 for another 6 weeks.

An authentic Alt. Not American and I'm trying to avoid crystal malt. According to Daniels, authentic German Alts don't have any. I was simply wondering if anyone familiar with the authentic Germans examples has brewed one lately and would be willing to share the recipe.

Crystal malt is used in Dusseldorf altstadt beers. There are a lot of beers in Germany called alt, which is why I asked what you mean. If you mean Dusseldorf and you think they don't have crystal, you're wrong, I've seen the bags of Caramunich in the pubs myself.

If Kaiser says it's a D-dorf Alt, that's good enough for me.

A quote from Kai's page. "I designed this recipe based on Guidelines for brewing Altbier from a German brewing text book. This is an Alt that is very much in line with the average German commercial Alt."

I like Kai's work, but
German Alt, yes with 27 IBU's
D-Alt, no with 27 IBU's

Schloesser and Frankenheim are probably around there...

Though better than no Alt, those two examples are that Alts that I like least. By looking at Kaiser's malt bill, I'd guess the flavor is also close to those two examples. Both are definitely authentic, and as stated, better than none, but IMO they are also the Budweiser and Miller of Alt Biers. Uerige, Fuchsen, Schumacher, Schlussel are more of what I prefer, with Uerige being my favorite.

I've tried a few times to brew a Uerige style Alt, and sorry to say, I've not done it yet, but always another reason to brew another batch :)

So, here's to the next Alt batch and high hopes!

-Moe

I brewed a 5gal. batch of Alt with a recipe that, it turns out, is pretty similar to Kai's and it turned very good. I'm thinking his is pretty "authentic". I'm down to ~2 gals of mine and am seriously thinking of brewing a 10 gal. batch in a couple of weeks.

94% Munich Malt
5% CaraMunich II
1.2% lb Carafa III
0.38 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min)
2.00 oz Spalt Select [2.00 %] (20 min)
White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch yeast

I may bump up the hops to push it into Dusseldorf range.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style07.php#1c

Back