Anyone brew with Belma hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwbeard

Reaction score
I'm brewing an IPA in a few weeks for my wedding, and the schedule calls for Belma and Cascade hops (to about 65IBU). I've brewed it twice before, with the second batch currently conditioning (it finished bubbling on Sunday).

With the first batch, there was a pretty strong diacetyl smell and some slickness in the mouthfeel, or something similar. I thought something had gone awry in fermentation. After maturing just a little bit, the smell calmed down - I served it at a house party and the last few pints I got to enjoy myself were amazing.

Fast forward to batch 2: same off flavor and smell. I pitched a little hot by accident, but used 2 satchels for 4.5 gallons.

If anyone has experience with Belma, is it just not good for use as an aroma hop? Could the improvement in smell be from degradation of the aroma hops, or am I having a diacetyl issue? Just trying to figure if I should redo the recipe to use only cascade in the last 20 min...

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401855321.641108.jpg

The hop schedule, if it informs any responses...

I just bottled a belma and citra pale ale for a buddy. Tangerines and berry was what I was getting from the flavor. Aroma was malty caramel from the Crystal 40 and the little roasted barley I used to adjust the color. Mouthfeel was medium to thin but not slick like your describing. I would look at your fermentation method or maybe pitching rate as the culprit.

My belma beers were consistently "creamy" feeling. There is some berry character but not much from the hop. Dryhopping with it gives amazing head retention though.

I just had a wheat ipa with Belma & citra (citra at flameout and 5 min) and loved it. It wasn't mine but I intend to brew it sometime next month. It's third on the list of next brews. I don't recall a slick mouthfeel. I recall a delightful citrusy IPA.

Belma definitely gives a slick mouth feel and is weak in the aroma department. It's clean for bittering use and the flavor is pleasant (lightly melon and strawberry) but I would use something else for aroma.

Here's a mega thread that has more anecdotes:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/belma-hops-361492/

Hmm thanks - Would it work to just swap in Cascade (matching AA contributions from the scheduled Belma) for the 5 min and flameout additions? Should I swap out the 10 minute Belma addition as well?

I have bittered my last two brews with Belma. Clean and nice. I was disappointed with its aroma and flavor qualities. I was hoping it was going to be a good ipa hop but I think for now it will be my bittering charge.

If it was me, I'd use Belma at 60 and 30 mins and Cascade for everything after that. I really like Belma as a bittering hop, and Cascade is great for everything. Congrats on the wedding BTW!

I would at least do cascade at 5 and flameout. I'd still do Belma at 30.

If it was me, I'd use Belma at 60 and 30 mins and Cascade for everything after that. I really like Belma as a bittering hop, and Cascade is great for everything. Congrats on the wedding BTW!

Thanks!

I bumped the temp of the current batch up to 72 (fermented with S-05 at 64, raised to 68 to attenuate more at the very end), and am going to see if that softens the diacetyl impression at all. If it doesnt disappear, I'll follow the apparent consensus and replace the Belma at 10, 5, and 0 with Cascade. Thanks, all!

Back