Anyone Brew Cider Because They Don't Like Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acemannw

Reaction score
When I was 10 years old my Dad, Brother and some Friends went to a Minnesota Twins game at the Metrodome in Minneapolis. In the 2nd inning two guys behind me got in a fight and they both spillied a 24 oz beer all over me. For the next 3 hours I smelled like beer. This must have stuck in my head and even to this day the smell of beer makes my sick.

I started out by helping a buddy brew his beer. Which was a little tough but the more I understood the smells that came with the beer the less it bothered me. I even tried some of his beer and liked it. I still mostly like fermenting Cider but might come around someday to some kind of Apple Ale.

No. But I did make a batch of cider. I've been told it's very good. I don't like it.

That was me before, not a big beer fan. That being said cider led to graff which led to beer and I've been branching out. I have a Belgian wit waiting to be brewed. That being said, I like cider

That was me before, not a big beer fan. That being said cider led to graff which led to beer and I've been branching out. I have a Belgian wit waiting to be brewed. That being said, I like cider

^^ That's me, too. I used to say I don't like beer, then I started researching and doing the occasional all grain graff. Now I have a porter in the fermenter.
Mind, my preferred drink is still a nice, off-dry cider.

I am so sorry those bad men stole your joy.

I mean, I love beer and might throw down a cider if she makes me.

She's going to make me.

Really can't stand beer. Mostly, it's the hops as even hopped ciders are pretty gross (basically, they taste like beer). My tongue must really be sensitive to hops as I find the hops flavor to be super bitter and overpower virtually any other flavor present to the point that almost all beers taste the same.

Used to drink various malted liquors (too sweet for me now) until I found hard cider. Have always loved cider and often let the jugs hang around until they got bubbly before, but now making an effort at intentionally fermenting it.

I brew cider as I like cider and SWMBO isn't a fan of beer but loves cider and where we are it is damn hard to find anywhere that even has cider on tap let alone a decent one.

I like both, but I'll admit I slightly prefer cider to beer.

But my biggest reason for brewing more cider than beer is that I can foist more cider off on friends than I can beer.

We like beer AND cider. And wine. Just started with cider because beer sounds a bit more complicated than we want to get right now. Maybe in summer when the weather's a bit less nippy. In the meantime cider lets us get our feet wet (and have some good drink!)

Really can't stand beer. Mostly, it's the hops as even hopped ciders are pretty gross (basically, they taste like beer). My tongue must really be sensitive to hops as I find the hops flavor to be super bitter and overpower virtually any other flavor present to the point that almost all beers taste the same.

Used to drink various malted liquors (too sweet for me now) until I found hard cider. Have always loved cider and often let the jugs hang around until they got bubbly before, but now making an effort at intentionally fermenting it.

I'm the opposite of this guy. I love hopped ciders and thats the reason I got into making ciders.

But to answer your question, I loved beers but started with meads and ciders because they seemed simpler. I now make more batches of beer than anything else but usually anything over 5+ gallons fermenting at my house is either wine, mead or cider. I still do some larger batches of beer but I get bored with the same beer for lengthy periods.

Those Twins fans. Haha! I got beer spilled on me by a drunk Indians fan at a Tigers game in Detroit once. But I was like 18. So all it did was piss me off. And it was Bud Light. If it was craft beer I might have let it go lol! That said, I drink more beer than water. But I do like a good cider. I especially like Cyser. I like most things with alcohol as long as it's under about 20%ABV. I don't do liquor much. Anyway to answer your question, I like beer and cider, pretty equally. I mostly wanted to reply to talk a little trash since I'm a huge Tigers fan. :)

I'm allergic to hops... so cider it is for me. I also like cider better than the wine as its easier to get right, and who doesn't like bubbles.

It's not that I don't like beer, but like Ranzor, I'm allergic to hops. In fact, I really miss my IPAs. *sniffle* But ... I do make kickass cider as a result, and like someone else said, it's super popular at parties. My keg floats first.

Im not an alcoholic , not by a long stretch , but my problem is I never met an alcohol I didnt like :D That being said I do homebrewing for the fun of it , not necessarily just because I like to sample the final results. Cider for me just tastes good and its a nice change now and then especially during the fall season , and it can be a lot more forgiving than beer when you like to experiment with the ingredients. But if you dont like beer there are many recipes and types that come out quite different from average beer. The dark , bitter , strong , malty , chocolatey , piney , or citrusy flavors on one end of the spectrum and the mild , light , less intense flavors on the other end. And if its the hopps that you dont care for you can even leave it out or substitute something else in its place. But whether its beer , cider , or something else...to me the fun of brew day itself is worth the experience , though it can also sometimes be a lot of work.

I did try a Sour Beer this weekend at Fair State Brewing in Minneapolis that was actually pretty good. Since it is the hops I dislike the most I am thinking that a sour beer with very few hops might be the way to go.

That being said I do homebrewing for the fun of it , not necessarily just because I like to sample the final results.

That's the opposite for me. Sampling the results is the greatest part. The brewing part is just a big pain in the ... sometimes. :)

I like both. I did my first cider back around Christmas time, and I didn't like it at first. Too sour for me. I didn't feel like back sweetening, and I still haven't tried that yet. But, after a month or so they started to taste better. Now I'm trying other fruit juices like grape, cherry, etc. and even mixing them together at times. I make two, one gallon batches at a time. I can't commit to five gallon batches yet because I don't want to spend that much on juice at once. :)

I never liked beer until I made my own beer, then I realized I like beer, I don't like that stuff they sell at the beer store. Of course I never would of figured that out if I didn't make my own ciders.

I don't like beer all that much. I seem to fill up on 1-2 beers and just feel like a walrus after that. Cider, wine, mixed drinks, etc. don't seem to have that effect on me.

I like the taste of beer. Craft beers especially. I just don't care for the feeling that goes along with it.

I'm kind of lucky in that there's a cider brewery around the corner from my house, and a growler fill place that always has a couple ciders on tap. Yum.

I brew cider because it is much easier and requires much less equipment. And you can't by the cranberry/rasberry/cherry etc ciders, not easily at least.

I brew cider because I like it and I have access to 30 apple trees, a dozen or so cherry trees, yellow plums, purple plums, and apricots.

I like beer too, but could care less if all the makers of IPA went bankrupt tomorrow. Prefer my beer mild (english ales), or heavy, strong, and sweet (some Belgian strong ales and other dubbels and trippels of that style).

Not a big fan of dry wines or super hoppy beers.

TeeJo

I love beer, and I love cider!
My Wife brews beer, and I make cider. The thing is, she doesn't like cider, so it's a win/win for me!!

I love beer and cider, and make them both. In fact I just bottled my first batch of cider, and I learned how to do it from this forum. I'll be making more soon!

Latest posts

Back