Anybody use Nelson Sauvin hops with Orange Zest in a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kunal Vanjare

Reaction score
Brewed a beer using some Pils & Wheat malt I had at home and threw in some Orange Zest at Flameout. Used Magnum @60 for bittering. Yeast used was Dry Munton's Premium Ale yeast which started off vigorously but has slowed down since Day 2. I am brewing a 1 Gallon batch.

Can I dry hop with some more Zest? How do you sanitize it? Don't have vodka at home and alcohol shops are shut now due to Covid. I do have Iodophor though.

Also, anybody recommend using Nelson Sauvin for dry hopping? Maybe along with the Orange Zest? I have never used these hops, so wonder how that would affect the taste & aroma of this beer.

Going for something like a Citrusy Pale Ale. It has been 5 & a half days into fermentation right now and it is still going slowly (one air bubble per 15-20 seconds on the airlock).

Would love some suggestions please. Thanks.

If you washed the orange well wefore zesting, you could most likey get away without any type of sanitizing.

I've never done what you're looking at, but I would stick to either the hops or zest until you know from experience what each will accomplish.

If you throw everything you've got at this one, and don't like the results, you won't know what caused it.

Just my personal experience of trying too many things at once...

Have not tried this but you may consider 170 degree F water, like 2-3 oz.. .dunk the zest in for 2 minutes or so then dump the entire thing in the fermenter. Just don't get any pith, cuz the hot water will make that worse.

I would think dunking an orange after in boiling water after rinsing would be adequate. If you wanna play it safe you could zest the outside layer away then zest the unexposed layers without going into the pith .

Alright. I'll just add some Orange Zest into the Fermenter after putting the zest through a boil.

Also, it is now the 13th day since fermentation started and the airlock is still bubbling (one bubble every 12-13 seconds). There is also some fizz on the layer of the beer and a thin layer of foam on top. Should I check the gravity and cold crash if done? Or should I wait a few more days?

Dry Hopping is to be done after fermentation is complete right? Before the cold crash?

Back