Anybody use dry ice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
I am wondering if dry ice is a more sufficient way to keep the fermenter cool in a swamp cooler setup. This way you don't have to worry about switching frozen bottles all the time. Anybody have experience with this?

No. How long does dry ice last (cool) and where might I buy it?

Very hard to control unless you are trying to keep stuff frozen and will burn your skin

Dry ice will cause severe burns if not used properly and also will melt faster than ice in uninsulated areas.
Specially when submerged in water, get ready to run for fresh air.

Were not trying to cryo the beer, just a couple degrees in most cases. Thus the reason for frozen 1-2liters.

No. How long does dry ice last (cool) and where might I buy it?

I don't know about you but I can purchase dry ice at my local supermarket. Some people use it in their coolers while camping and it can last several days with just a small quantity.

Very hard to control unless you are trying to keep stuff frozen and will burn your skin

I'm talking about using a very small amount to maintain temps. You can wear gloves to handle the ice if you're worried about burning.

Dry ice will cause severe burns if not used properly and also will melt faster than ice in uninsulated areas.
Specially when submerged in water, get ready to run for fresh air.

Were not trying to cryo the beer, just a couple degrees in most cases. Thus the reason for frozen 1-2liters.

I see what you are saying. I am in the military and I work an odd schedule. Sometimes I don't have time to babysit my fermenter and switch water bottles every 8 hours. I'm just looking for alternatives, and no...my wife will not go for a fridge with an stc-1000 since we are limited on money and space :(

Used to work in grocery business and dry ice is only used for keeping things frozen not cool
Went camping one time using it and by the time I got to the site gallon bottles of water where frozen solid and way below 32f
This only took about 5 hours in the cooler and took hours to thaw in 95 degree weather sitting in the sun

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Homz-17-18-...ooler-Cover-Sleeve-/190805353779#ht_575wt_724

This is what I use and I can get down to mid 50s with enough ice and changes but easily keep below 68 without much hassle . The whole thing with the 17 gallon rope tub should run ya less than $40 total.

This will work with 2 changes a day with three to four 16 oz bottles and keep you in the mid 60s

Not affiliated with the eBay seller in any way but works for me

Also thank you for your service !!!

Happy brewing and thanks for keeping us all safe

Also thank you for your service !!!

Happy brewing and thanks for keeping us all safe

Thank you I appreciate it. That looks like a cool setup. The tub doesn't come with it but I think they are pretty cheap at homedepot.

I think they are less than 10 bucks I got three tubs and 2 of the covers so can have three fermenters going at any time if needed
I just worry it for the first week and then slow down on the ice until ready

I also use the rope tubs to cold crash and they nestle together when not being used so don't take up much space and you can store other gear inside them also to conserve space

I used to play with dry ice for a couple of my kid's science experiments. There's really two things keeping it from working well in a swamp cooler.

1. It costs a fortune. I think I paid around $10 for a five pound block at the local supermarket. That's a piece about 12" X 12" X 2" as I recall.
2. While it's very cold, it sublimates very quickly in water. In fact, it won't last much longer than an ice bottle at fermentation temperatures. It'll get the temp of the water down lower but it's not very good at keeping it there.

Back