Anybody Seen This?!? (Williamswarn System)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In essence, that is all this unit is, a 5 gallon conical. We go through beer faster than that little thing can produce! No way, even if I had a million dollars would I consider that overpriced temp controlled conical. I wouldn't drink beer out of my conical anyway, there is still a bunch of crap on the walls and the cone when I clean it out afterwards. I would still transfer to a keg and age there.
Yup, that's why I'd like to see a ~14 gallon temp controlled conical like this but without the tap and other serving stuff. It may be interesting.

Kal

Yes, I'm aware of them. They've been reworked a bit over the years and introduced the new v2's just this last year (IIRC). I just thought that the Willamswarn ones may look nicer/offer up some competition.

You can stick any conical in a $50 used fridge but there may be a market for one that looks as clean as the Willamswarn ones. Who knows!

Kal

I agree. The design of this thing is really appealing. I really wonder how the stuff tastes. It looks like the guy behind it really knows his stuff, so it'd be interesting to put some side-by-side to the best we can make (same styles obviously). I can't imagine it'd hold up, but I can't say for certain until I try some!

I think it would taste as good as extract could, which, when done properly is pretty good if quality (and fresh) ingredients are used.

IMHO, someone who does extract correctly and properly (and controls fermentation properly) will make better than someone who does all-grain but has no idea what they're doing.

Lots of people win contests with extract recipes (though most are partial extracts probably). The WillamsWarn guys do mention that partial extracts are possible or even all-grain.

Kal

Their "12 problems with Homebrewing" is absolutely classic:

1: Flat beer has to be carbonated after fermentation in an extra process step in bottles (4 weeks) or kegs (1 week). (Good point. But their system takes a WHOLE WEEK. I can go to the gas station, get THREE cases of beer and be home in 10 minutes)

2: Fermentation occurs at ambient temperatures so gets cold at night & in winter and can takes weeks to complete. (If you live in a sheep pen, maybe. Fortunately I live in a house with walls, roof, insulation, furance and air conditioning)

3: Clarification can take weeks. (I'm not sure what that even means)

4: Beer must be transferred off the sediment which oxidises the product greatly and creates off-flavours. (I guess there might be a point here)

5: Too much work. Multiple vessels and transfers required. Bottling homebrew takes many hours. (Many hours?)

6: Experience is required to make a good beer. Trial and error. (Substitute "good beer" for any other thing in the world and this is true. We all know gaining experience in order to improve the quality of something is a totally useless exercise in real life, and the solution is always to buy something to fix that problem.)

7: Poor temperature control during fermentation leads to yeast making off-flavours or headache-causing compounds. (Man, I'm glad I don't live in a sheep pen any more.)

8: Poor cleaning and poor sterilisation which leads to many infected beers. (Sterilization? Many?)

9: Chronic beer oxidation due to transfers between vessels and into bottles and kegs. (Whatever you say.)

10: Bottled homebrew has a dead yeast layer at the bottom which contributes off-flavours. (So the next time you use the yeast from a bottle of Chimay to brew another batch you are raising the dead. Satanist!)

11: Old extract is been kept warm for many months on the shelf, which contributes greatly to the homebrew flavour. (Well, sure, if you buy it from a store that keeps it warm and on the shelf for many months)

12: Old yeast is stored warm under the can lid which ensures a huge loss of vitality and viability, resulting in more homebrew flavours. (Good point. If you use the yeast that comes under the cap of a kit beer.)

Result: The beer tastes like poorly produced homebrew. (Wow, this makes me want to go buy beer at the grocery store. Not only is it pointless to homebrew, but why would I wait a whole week for my decent beer?)

I don't want to judge the existence of this thing by its poor marketing. The concept is amazing, and I'm thrilled that the option is there for those that want it. I'm sure most of us here have come across at least one "dream brew" before, right? One that you and your mates remember and talk about long after it's gone? This thing could have the ability to take all variables out of the equation and ensure your recipe tasted exactly like it did the first time around, every time.

But why would anyone who isn't commercially selling their beer want that? Part of the reason we brew is FOR the little nuances and imperfections. There's an art to it. This system takes the art out of it, and for many the fun.

I still bloody want one though! :$

Poor marketing? This has to be one of the best marketing campaigns I've seen in a long time, for any product. It's extremely slick and well done!

Kal

Oh boy am I late for this conversation... I would be interested in this only as a tool to hone recipies if they had an all grain capability. I think it would eliminate alot of the hastle of brewing alone like I do.. I've had a back surgery and lifting that 16 gallon brew kettle up to transfer the wort to the fermenter really sucks sometimes.

I am sorry to wake this thread up after being long dead, but it's better than starting a new one.

I came across this machine after looking for a home "nano-brewing" system which can make one-two batches a time (0.5 bbl!?) - and a price tag which isn't as unwelcoming as 5000 USD!

I agree with comments above, cooking a "ready meal" isn't personal nor home cooking. Same with brewing all extract/can beers by simply adding water.

Anyone familiar with a system that can brew around 0.5 bbl (50 Liter) and knows how to take grains? Or should I make it my next kickstarter project :D :D

Anyone familiar with a system that can brew around 0.5 bbl (50 Liter) and knows how to take grains?
I don't know of any prebuilt fully-automated ones that exist that makes 15 gallons of beer. That's quite a bit for a fully-automated setup.

Of the ones that exist, PicoBrew Zymatic produces 2.5 gallons. Then there;s http://www.brewie.org/ that supposedly will make 20 litres (~5 gallons) but it's not available yet/little is known.

For 1/2 bbl (15 gallons) I think you're going to have to get your hands dirty a bit.

I would start a new thread and provide your requirements. Ie: Do you want 100% automation like PicoBrew (press a button, wort comes out) or are you willing to do a bit of the work yourself? And so forth.

Kal

I am sorry to wake this thread up after being long dead, but it's better than starting a new one.

I came across this machine after looking for a home "nano-brewing" system which can make one-two batches a time (0.5 bbl!?) - and a price tag which isn't as unwelcoming as 5000 USD!

I agree with comments above, cooking a "ready meal" isn't personal nor home cooking. Same with brewing all extract/can beers by simply adding water.

Anyone familiar with a system that can brew around 0.5 bbl (50 Liter) and knows how to take grains? Or should I make it my next kickstarter project :D :D

Try this: http://morebeer.com/category/braumeister-electric-allgrain-brewing-systems-1.html

You could look through this thread Fully Automated Brewing System Design for some ideas :eek:

This is quite interesting, I am unsure where this project stands however!
Also, a 3000 USD for a small batch isn't going to cut it.

I don't know of any prebuilt fully-automated ones that exist that makes 15 gallons of beer. That's quite a bit for a fully-automated setup.

Of the ones that exist, PicoBrew Zymatic produces 2.5 gallons. Then there;s http://www.brewie.org/ that supposedly will make 20 litres (~5 gallons) but it's not available yet/little is known.

For 1/2 bbl (15 gallons) I think you're going to have to get your hands dirty a bit.

I would start a new thread and provide your requirements. Ie: Do you want 100% automation like PicoBrew (press a button, wort comes out) or are you willing to do a bit of the work yourself? And so forth.

Kal

I think the main question is: Do you (I) aim at average Jue to start brewing beer to have a drink or are you aiming at hobby/home (or even semi/profssional) person?

The project you mention seems to aim at average Joe, also the one in this thread.
I think I need to answer some of the questions myself and then post here in a new thread to see what people think before I think of investing time and money on this one :)

Braumeister is a great product for the first step - mashing and boiling. While it will make the life of a home-brewer (nano-brewry 0.5 bbl) much easier, the full process isn't covered here (fermentation! Kegging..)

Back